back to article One alleged Dridex money-launderer set for US extradition, beams UK's National Crime Agency

Britain’s National Crime Agency arrested six men in London on suspicion of laundering “tens of millions” for the Trickbot and Dridex banking malware gangs, the not-quite-police agency declared today. The six, a mixture of British and Eastern European citizens, were arrested around a year ago, said the NCA as EU police agency …

1. Falmari Bronze badge
    Joke

Escape from New York

I was thinking why is he being extradited to the US? The crimes were committed in the UK and money laundering is illegal in the UK. Having read the link to the Europol site, I would understand if he were tried in another EU state, the gang is an EU gang operating out of the EU. The only arrests outside the EU are 1 in the US and 1 in Australia. Should not the US be extraditing to an EU state?

Then then for no reason the film Escape from New York popped into my head. I think I know why the UK seem so keen to extradite to the US and if the others in the EU get extradited as well, it will confirm my suspicions.

This is some EU plot to export their criminals to the US. Once they have got rid of enough, the EU will offer to finish Trump’s wall with Mexico. Only they won’t stop at the coast they will continue up both the Pacific and Atlantic seaboards and right across the Canadian border. Thus, turning the US into one completely sealed prison. Much like New York in Escape from New York only on a much larger scale. ;)

1. TheVogon

Re: Escape from New York

Probably because they asked first.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Because some of the victims were American?

I think the US generally gets involved when Americans are victims. They appear to adhere to the principle that their law-enforcement is there for the protection of their citizens (well, some of their citizens...)

Doesn't matter where the accused's arses are, if they target Americans, then America targets them back.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021