back to article Microsoft and chums use US trademark law to trash Trickbot malware network

Microsoft and other global infosec companies have mounted a joint operation to sabotage command-and-control (C2) infrastructure used by the Trickbot malware, which injects, among other things, ransomware into victims' PCs. Coming on the heels of a US government operation to disrupt the Windows botnet late last week, as …

1. DavCrav

"Although Microsoft's legal counsel managed to use US trademark law to seize and take down Trickbot's C2 infrastructure on the grounds that the malware occasionally impersonates the Windows operating system, UK criminal law doesn't help British companies take strong action against malware operators."

Good. I don't want companies to be able to misuse trademark law. If you want to take down malware networks (and you do), write a law that allows you to do that.

An 'imaginative' use of a law to do something good today, is an imaginative use of the law to do something bad tomorrow.

1. Dave314159ggggdffsdds Silver badge

It doesn't strike me as a misuse of the law, or anything novel in terms of trademark law. It's an open and shut case of infringement.

The only notable aspect is that they've done the equivalent of nailing Al Capone for tax evasion.

2. sitta_europea Silver badge

"...there is a theoretical, albeit real, risk that a person or company in the UK deliberately disrupting malware C2 infrastructure could commit a crime in the process no matter how pure their motives. "

So?

Call me. I'll do it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

“ Call me. I'll do it.”

Too late I’ve paid them to let me do it.

3. slimshady76
    Facepalm

I've got a better idea...

What if microsoft patches the vulns allowing the Trickbot infections in the first place instead of "fighting the botnet's C2 servers"?

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: I've got a better idea...

What's that? Disallow end users from running 3rd party software unless downloaded from their Store?

These infections don't propagate like the worms did a couple decades ago.

4. Jay Lenovo

Our we winning yet?

Attempting to drain the lake, rather than fixing the hole in the boat.

5. Dave314159ggggdffsdds Silver badge

Obviously you can't be charged with computer misuse in regard to a system you don't own without the actual owners coming forward. Just as obviously, criminal gangs aren't going to do that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like