back to article What is your 'intent'? Google Assistant opens door to chatting with third-party apps

In a much-anticipated move for Android phone users, Google has tweaked its Assistant to let users interact with third-party apps – including Spotify and Twitter – using their voice. The long-overdue feature, which is only available on the English-language version of Assistant, lets punters perform a series of pre-specified …

1. RM Myers Silver badge

Using Siri to interact with 3rd party apps

I don't know how others feel, but I have actually cut back on using Siri to open or otherwise interact with apps. Too often Siri just seemed to take me to the app store, or otherwise misunderstand what I wanted. It just seemed easier and faster to use my fingers.

Obviously, YMMV.

1. Chris G Silver badge

Re: Using Siri to interact with 3rd party apps

I have Google assistant disabled along with a fair number of other googly items so the the only home my phones can call to is mine.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

I wonder...

what percentage of Phone users (both Android and IOS) actually these [redacted] things?

I only have siri enabled so that car play will work. Other than that I find that they are a POS.

Google and Apple are spending a huge amount of dosh improving (sic) their things but how many are actually using these 'featues'?

3. fuzzie

Anti-trust beads of sweat there?

Colour my lightly cynical, but between this announcement and hints about the next version of Android allowing other app stores, it sounds a lot like Google is rushing to hobble some of those pesky monopoly/market dominance complaints. They could go as far as making just about everything pluggable or at the very least allow app-preferences to be selected for a gajillion intents/actions. Then stand back and say "Look, our platform is totally open. Anyone can elect their favourite app for X, Y or Z". In theory that might even be accurate, but I doubt it will pad the velvet-coated brick of the GAPS Licence or the pure inertia of a handset with Google-everything as defaults.

1. Jim Birch

Re: Anti-trust beads of sweat there?

Alternately, it might just be an acceptance of the reality that people use a bunch of third party apps and they aren't going to stop any time soon. Android can actually benefit as the glue that holds all this menagerie together. Claiming things don't exist tends to bite you in the longer term, better to drink up before they add the kool-aid.

4. Jim Birch

Alternately, it might just be an acceptance of the reality that people use a bunch of third party apps and they aren't going to stop anytime soon. Android can actually benefit as the glue that holds all this menagerie together. Claiming things don't exist tends to bite you in the longer term, better to drink up before they add the kool-aid.

5. Ken Y-N
    Go

...And it's gone!

GMail Go has Gone - it seems they must have accidentally removed the device lock, as it's now unavailable on my devices.

6. Chairman of the Bored Silver badge

Voice recognition plucks

It just does. I can see it now:

"Google, call that gal back and set up a meeting for 6 o clock"

"Okay! The call girl will be here at 6 o clock"

"Google, WTF! I don't want a call girl! I want to reschedule my 3 o clock for 6 o clock!"

"A threesome at 6 o clock. Very good sir. That's going to cost about 200 dollars. Want me to pay that out of your joint account?"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021