back to article Bot herder of a different kind: Open sourcer Camunda buffs up RPA platform in an overcrowded market

Open source bot orchestration vendor Camunda has rolled out its latest platform update, which includes features designed to centrally wrangle bots from the multitude of vendors currently muscling in on the lucrative market. But one analyst said while there was a need for new approaches in these areas, solutions are not quite …

1. RM Myers
    Happy

RPA is essentially reading and automating the same user interface that a user would use.

Sounds amazingly similar to the screenscraping, keyboard buffer stuffing, spreadsheet automation workflows I helped build 30 years ago. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

And yes, these were a bear to maintain. Every damn UI change would break the process. You ended up spending most of your time adding error handling routines to limit the damage (some of these ran for 12 or more hours over night, and you didn't want one glitch to stop everything). I can remember one workflow that died because the operators added a "Happy New Year" message to the server logon at midnight on December 31st, which killed our automated process. Given the tight timelines we had, this really screwed up our schedule.

1. sgp

Re: RPA is essentially reading and automating the same user interface that a user would use.

Really nothing new here. I highly doubt those market figures.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It’s all just so much woo.....

"Automation orchestration is an emerging issue but our view is broader than managing diverse RPA bots; it's about coordinating various AI building blocks,"

Isn’t orchestration supposedly the whole point?

*Now with added AI*

... because that makes everything better, right?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The uni I work for is looking to use this as its Covid tracker for students - apparently its made with the Microsoft bot technology. I'm not a fan personally.

https://cvm-health.com

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022