back to article Hey, pull your nose out of BlackBerry's poor financials and pay attention to this all-singing security doodah

"BlackBerry has always been known for our strong strategy," chief exec John Chen told the BlackBerry Security Summit earlier this week – just as a well-read investment blog concluded that "without a meaningful shift, this company (and stock) will probably keep on struggling". Chen's words came at the opening of the summit, …

1. Rich 2 Silver badge

Alive and squirming?

BlackBerry still lives (For now)? Wow!

I understand why It happened, but RIM’s fall from the top of the tree was astonishingly speedy back in the day. I think it went along the lines of;-

Monday: Apple introduces the iPhone

Monday afternoon: RIM sinks

1. Jason Hindle Silver badge

Re: Alive and squirming?

Note quite. They remained popular for some time thanks to BBM, but that too was eventually killed by little things like WhatsApp. Their failure to deal with Apple was no different to Nokia's failure to deal with Apple. They didn't copy Apple (Symbian's attempt at touch UIs was pretty poor). Google, OTOH had no compunction in this respect. Hence the rather boring, bi polar nature of the mobile market.

2. Androgynous Cow Herd

Buzzword Bingo

I just need "blockchain" and "single-pane-of-glass"....

wait - is "Single console" close enough?

3. AMBxx Silver badge
    Windows

I still get BB envy

My wife doesn't like touch screen phones at all, so still using a Blackberry KeyOne. Every time I use it, I think about buying one for myself.

Where's the BB user icon?

1. Jason Hindle Silver badge

Re: I still get BB envy

Well Amazon still sells the Key2.... I'm not convinced I'll be able to type on it as quickly as I could with the (T-Mobile UK) Blueberry I used for a few years (it still charges up and switches on, but I doubt it will be very useful even if I could get a SIM to work with it).

4. StrangerHereMyself Bronze badge

They died

Blackberry essentially died when they admitted breaking their own security to aid law enforcement and intelligence agencies. After that everybody shunned their gear and they haven't really recovered from it. Most likely they'll go bust in a couple of years of diversify into something completely different.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021