back to article Time for a virtual love affair: ESXi-Arm Fling flung onto the web for peeps to test drive with Raspberry Pi 4, other kit

VMware on Monday released the first public spin of its ESXi bare-metal hypervisor for selected 64-bit Arm systems. Dubbed the ESXi-Arm Fling, this non-production-grade, unsupported technical preview can be downloaded here. It's primed and ready for the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B (the 8GB variant is highly recommended) as well as …

1. Caver_Dave Silver badge
    Boffin

Welcome (late) to the party

VxWorks has had a certifiable (to DAL-A) bare-metal hypervisor for ARM for a few years and it ran on older Raspberry Pies, along with many other, more suitable, ARM variants (including Xilinx). There's also versions for Intel architectures and PPC.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Welcome (late) to the party

True - and there are other Arm hypervisors out there, no doubt - but the thing is, ESXi-Arm can be controlled from vCenter so it should (in theory) just drop right into your VMware environment that controls the rest of your IT, making management feel perhaps straightforward and natural.

Which might be a bit easier than wrangling VxWorks deployments (which I imagine are aimed at individual machines, whereas ESXi is more about automatically wrangling fleets of stuff at once).

C.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

KVM already supports ARM, so the existence of this hypervisor is not critical. It presumably will integrate in to a more broad VMWare management system, though...

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

"will integrate in to a more broad VMWare management system"

Yes, that's precisely the point; it's for people who want to manage Arm stuff from their vCenter environment, or who want to try out VMware's SmartNIC stuff via VCF.

Or if you're that much of an ESXi fan, as a standalone host.

I've tried to make this more crystal clear in the article.

C.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. J. Cook Silver badge

Neat; I may have to pony up for another Pi4 to play with this in our lab at work, once I upgrade it to vCenter 7.

(my only Pi4 is currently installed in a PiCade cabinet)

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

They're so expensive... where ever will you find the budget?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021