back to article Reno4 Pro 5G: At this price point, OPPO's latest phone for the UK market ought to feel better than a mid-ranger

The Reno4 Pro 5G, OPPO's latest smartphone for the UK market, is an unambiguous mid-ranger, conservative in outlook and specs, and better positioned to take on the likes of the OnePlus Nord than wallet-punishing flagships. Except it costs £699. The expectations of a £700 phone are different to that of a £500 phone. Can the …

1. TeeCee Gold badge

OPPO's 65W fast charging is a welcome feat.

Hence the lack of wireless. The OPPO / OnePlus charge system is the best around and plugging in to charge fully in minutes kicks the crap out of sitting around waiting for it to sloooowwwlllyyyy absorb power wirelessly.

Also, as I have pointed out before, plugging in can be slightly annoying once a day (or even twice in extreme use) but the extra thickness and weight provided by the wireless induction coils is annoying every time I pick up a phone so equipped.

1. Gordon 10 Silver badge
      Gimp

How many people actually impatiently wait for their phone to charge on the go whereas plugging it in when its convenient. How often is it going to be needed anyway with a monster battery?

How big is the proprietary charger to support fast charging?

Got any references for the weight and bulk of an induction coil? Looking on ebay the retrofit ones are fractions of a mm thick and a matter of grams.

Also QI is a near universal standard now - how close is 65w fast charge to being one?

I can get a battery pack with decent fast charge and/or QI plus a usb lead to trickle charge it all for less bulk than the fast charging wall wart.

You're sounding a bit like a fanboi tbh.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

How many people actually impatiently wait for their phone to charge on the go whereas plugging it in when its convenient. How often is it going to be needed anyway with a monster battery?

I do. There's never a convenient time to plug it in. My Moto G6 Play has a monster battery but sometimes it goes for 3-5 days and sometimes I'm on the phone A LOT and it goes only a day or so.

> How big is the proprietary charger to support fast charging?

My ANKER one is 5cm x 5cm x 2.5cm. It's smaller than the battery packs I have.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

> plugging in to charge fully in minutes kicks the crap out of sitting around waiting for it to sloooowwwlllyyyy absorb power wirelessly.

Why not both? Li-ion batteries last longer if kept between 40-80%, so if someone's daily routine suits (i.e, at a desk) then a Qi pad makes it easier to keep it in that range.

Also, wireless charging ability is a backup if the USB port ever get gunked up or broken, and lets you charge a damp phone (handier for people in sone jobs than others, I grant you). And indeed, by using a Qi pad you're not causing the USB socket any wear in the first place.

(My phone supports wireless charging, but I've never bothered buying a charging pad. The redundancy aspect is reassuring though)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fail

Because it seems the bean counters have decided on the selling price, considering other Chinese Mfrs are pitching simialr offerings between £ 250-300.

At those prices, Samsung looks a better bet, anytime.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021