back to article Couchbase set to bring app multi-tenancy to its NoSQL document-store database

Document-store NoSQL database biggie Couchbase is promising application multi-tenancy within a single database as part of the next release of its flagship product. Couchbase 7.0, expected in the first half of next year, will hand control to the application developer to specify how they want to lay out their microservice …

1. Robert Grant

Someone just invented schemas. Good job.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

*And* an SQL-like query language!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interview or press release?

> Simple inertia in favour of the large relational database vendors may be preventing the company from having more of an impact on the market.

Or perhaps it may be that when people tried it, as I did, it was found to be an ad-hoc, performance disaster (GiB of storage eaten up for an *empty* database?) kludge, awkwardly limited in terms of operations for anything going beyond a dbm-style key-value store and most importantly, lacking an actual conceptual model (nothing like Codd's seminal paper, which 50 years later is still relevant).

The way it comes across is as a 90% marketing operation trying to sell a souped-up JSON data store. When I needed to use something no more sophisticated than that, NeDB (a one-bloke-in-his-free-time project) has done the job superbly. For anything else, there is PostgreSQL (that's my industry's workhorse, other vendors available).

In other words, mediocre developer meets salesman meets venture capitalist kind of story. Same goes for the Mongo thing, btw.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Interview or press release?

They (nosql) have their place, use where appropriate and don’t worship one database god (or devil in the case of Oracle).

A JSON data store that can be sharded out and has the built in redundancy is sometimes handy.

Agree on Postgre though, that’s my go to for most db jobs.

1. Robert Grant

Postgres' JSON column type is going to be the easiest thing for 99% of jobs anyway. You can even query into it!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> You can even query into it!

*And* index.

PS: Unless you really must have JSON, use JSONB. Much faster and you can do things like compare for equality.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Incidentally, couple years back we developed a product for which a JSON store was a good fit (and we're talking a real JSON store, multiple levels deep, not the usual key/value collections that one sees being sold as "JSON"). We implemented that in PostgreSQL, it was basically a two-column table, UUID and data.

Totally wiped the floor with the other crap we tested, this couchbase thing included. Be very wary of marketers tell you.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Talking about databases

Going through your https://www.theregister.com/Tag/databases link leaves me with the strong impression that your database "coverage" is 100% press-release based.

Where are the PostgreSQL, SQLite, MariaDB stories?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like