back to article On Her Majesty's Servers: UK's Coronavirus Future Fund sinks 'seven-figure sum' into Arm data-centre kit

The UK's Coronavirus Future Fund has made a biggish bet on Arm server vendor Bamboo. Bamboo started life with the name Kaleao, though let the branding consultants give it a makeover. The biz emerged in June 2020 with its new name and a PANDA – the Parallel Arm Node Designed Architecture – making it a bit of an exhibition in …

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

... Bang Bang

Me ol' Bamboo, me ol' Bamboo, You'd better never bother with me ol' Bamboo. You can have me hat or me bumbershoe, But you'd better never bother with me ol' Bamboo.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ... Bang Bang

Thank you very much Dick Van Dyke or Penis Van Lesbian as Cary Grant renamed him.

The issue with ARM I/O is less that the ARM is bad at it but rather, IMHO, the typical pin count on a SOC packages.

If the ARM were not on a limited SOC package and instead had full buses like a PC then this will stop the CPU waiting around more than having a dedicated I/O chip as a buffer to I/O. By all means have both like the PC but the pinout is more limiting that the ARM being bad a I/O

2. TheVogon

Sinks likely being rather appropriate. Very little demand.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

To score any cash from the fund, businesses need to....win most revenue from the UK

Just as long as the profits can be shipped overseas when tax-time nears!

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

How long before it's in production or, seeing as it's HMG, beta?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021