back to article New Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint, Project Server versions inbound, but only available on subscription

Microsoft revealed plans at its virtual Ignite bash to roll out new versions of its venerable Exchange Server, SharePoint Server, and Project Server, as well as another perpetual release of its cash cow, Office. While the Windows-maker may ostensibly be all about the cloud these days, there remain pesky customers reluctant to …

1. karlkarl Silver badge

This really does open up the market for on-premises solutions.

It is quite interesting to scan through old abandonware sites (i.e like winworld) and see how many of these solutions would have been in a great position now to serve customers requiring freedom from the "cloud". (If they hadn't been killed off by competition from Microsoft ~10-20 years ago.)

At this point, some companies might even be considering (HCL) Lotus Domino as a solution again XD

1. jake Silver badge

From what I've seen, more companies are contemplating LibreOffice than are contemplating Lotus Domino. In fact I haven't heard of any company even contemplating new installations of Lotus anything since roughly the turn of the century. I don't expect this to change any time soon.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

"In fact I haven't heard of any company even contemplating new installations of Lotus anything since roughly the turn of the century."

I've seen a couple cases, both where the new IT director probably didn't even evaluate anything else since he/she was enamoured of Notes (and everything IBM) at previous employer.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have the feeling with Microsoft that you either have to stay away from it, or blindly follow their route and accept the price and outcome that comes with it.

They're very strongly pushing to O365 and once you make that step you're sucked into that ecosystem. They make sure the O365/Azure stuff more or less works and neglect the rest. They're changing things daily, so you either have to accept it or stay away.

It's far from ideal, but the users and management want it and at some point one needs to stop caring and play along.

Perhaps one day the roof comes down and it'll change again. We'll see.

1. hoola Silver badge

The constant push with changes to licensing the everything going to subscription is all about their end game of everything as a service and in the O365 cloud. For large corporations and education they will continue to add to existing agreements because it is easier and perceived to be safe than attempting to implement alternatives.

The trouble is that for so much of the Microsoft sprawl there are not robust alternatives that are acceptable in the board room.

I know all the Linux stuff, Libre Office and so on but just look at what is involved to switch 50,000 users from O365 (Email, Sharepoint OneDrive) to another solution. In the first instance they more than likely have nowhere to put the Petabytes or whatever of crap. Sure, they can lease servers and and data centre space rather than buying up front but that is all more complicated than just continuing to pay Microsoft.,

Then there is the integration issue, too much stuff appears to only function with Outlook because of the way developers have implemented things.

As the article state, it works well enough and the costs not so astronomical that the incentive to move is too low. Even if there was some mega outage a few might revert to on-prem but memories are short and marketing budgets deep.

3. SecretSonOfHG

Almost nobody cares

Exchange+AD is now so complex to manage that paying for a O365 subscription is cheaper than setting up the infrastructure and the properly trained and experience resources to keep it running. Outside really enormous setups. That's why business move in droves to cloud subscriptions.

Sharepoint is/was the LotusNotes replacement that, like Notes, never went past the miriad of abandoned prototype apps/sites that no one used but filled the corporate niche's manager need of feeling important by having its own "sites".

Neither of those are relevant now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021