back to article Halloween approaches and the veil between worlds wears thin – the Windows 10 October 2020 Release walks among us

Release Channel Windows Insiders were treated to Build 19042.508 of Microsoft's flagship operating system last week as Microsoft readied the OS for an October release. "We believe," said Insider bigwig Brandon LeBlanc, "that Build 19042.508 is the final build," although the company admitted it would "continue to improve the …

1. a_yank_lurker Silver badge

New BloatWare

Any bets on how bad the new Bloatware-as-a-Disservice release will be? The Rejects of Redmond are due a major screw up again.

2. MtK

Noone spotted the obvious link re MS & Bethesda?

One has Windows 10, the other has Fallout 76.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Noone spotted the obvious link re MS & Bethesda?

If only I could give more than one upvote...

3. jonathan keith Silver badge

My work Lenovo E585 ThinkPad still hasn't had the 2004 update switched on for it, apparently because of disagreeable drivers causing boot loops. Fingers crossed that Microsoft and Lenovo can sort their shit out and the 2010 update or whatever it will be called isn't so fucked (to use a technical term).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Snipping Tool

Is this the release where the snipping tool is going to be replaced by some bloated graphics utility? You know, the one with the save button on the right hand side of the screen instead of the left?

5. Conundrum1885

Re. Dimensional cross-rip

Actually there's two peaks, one in spring and the other in autumn.

Something about higher dimensional effects but I am not entirely sure on the specifics. Yet.

Incidentally I solved the mysterious problem with my R11, its "allergic" to NFC @ 13.56 MHz

Put it anywhere near an active antenna and it goes splat and turns off/crashes/etc.

Talk about unusual, perhaps Acer can get back to me?

1. Conundrum1885

Re: Re. Dimensional cross-rip

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-infinite-chains-hydrogen-atoms-properties.html

6. Tim99 Silver badge
    Trollface

FTFY

This being preview code^Windows 10, there remained a long list of issues that could catch out the unwary. Office apps might crash or disappear, and the install process could hang for extended periods of time. Certainly, we found this one a little on the flaky side...

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: FTFY

Office apps might crash or disappear, and the install process could hang for extended periods of time

Nowt new there then???

Come Ms get your install/update process sorted. It is almost as if you just simply don't care on little bit.

7. beep54
    Devil

Windows update

Oh, how I dread that. When Widows updates, it decides that you are doing it wrong and it 'fixes' it for you. Never mind all the time you put into making Windows work like you want it to. Oh, no. MS knows 'better'. I'd best go back to a metered connection so that I wont be blindsided again. Apparently a metered connection will stop updates cold in their tracks.

1. Conundrum1885

Re: Windows update

Same here. I have two 10 machines and they *both* updated at the same time. Not funny when you have actual work to do.

Irony: typing this on a Chromebook.

1. Tim99 Silver badge
        Gimp

Re: Windows update

I now only run one machine with Windows 10 on it - It's in a Parallels VM on an iMac - It gets used about twice a month, about the same as an XP VM with some old shrink-wrap I wrote before I retired...

8. MJI Silver badge

XB Bethesda - PS Insomniac

OK how about Bethesda still sell on Playstation and XBox still have Sunset Overdrive?

....A fan of Arkane.

9. Maelstorm Bronze badge
    FAIL

Getting burned by Microsoft

After being burned with Microsoft feature/quality updates, I do not install them right away. I set feature updates to wait 90 days before being applied while quality updates get the 7 days treatment. Microsoft removed the ability to do that in the settings for 2004, so you now have to go into the group policy editor to set it. It's almost like they want people to have broken computers. Even so, that gives me time to tweak the image using DISM and apply a few updates and such before I install it. I don't know if they are not testing their software or what, but it seems that lately everyone's USB devices break with each update. They can't even seem to get USB-3 right. We were promised USB-3 since 2010 (IIRC) and it still doesn't work, or works sporadically for the majority of people. With such a bad rap, Microsoft has announced Windows 10X. The problem is if the team remains the same, then 10X will be plagued by the same problems as 10. After this, I think my next system will run Linux.

10. Terry 6 Silver badge

2004?

I don't object to updates and stuff- I have time on my hands to sort out problems these days (Or reimage).

But I haven't been offered the 2004 yet. On either of my PCs.

And now they're prepping the October one, eh.

Maybe they need to sort out the current job first.

11. Jim Willsher

20H2 build showed up on our WSuS at the weekend, and we are not in any beta or early release channels. I went ahead and installed it anyway on laptop, and it is indeed now running 19042.508.

Can't say I can notice any differences to 2004 release.

12. Roger B

Was running 19042.508 on my very very old dell Studio 17, but as of 930pm BST I am now running 19042.541, no idea what the changes were, but it seems to of installed easily enough. Have to give some credit to Dell I dont think I've had any issues with driver updates on this machine and I think originally it was running Vista.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020