back to article Another week, another dual-screen phone, this time a T-shaped LG thingamy

LG has given the world another twist on the dual-screen phone. We’ve already had the Galaxy Z Fold2 from Samsung, which suggests Psion-style micro-clamshell operations and the horribly-hard-to-repair Surface Duo from Microsoft, which suggests using it like a book. LG’s idea is for one screen to twist to form a “T” shape, as …

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
    Happy

I actually like this idea

Well, sort of. Aside from the mechanical fragility of the moving parts. I guess we won't know how tough it is until a toddler gets their hands on it.

It's finally paying attention to what people actually do - people like to watch X while chatting to friends on whatsfaceinstatoktwit.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Re: I actually like this idea

Me too, but I have a horrible image of a small piece of grit getting between the two screens and leaving a circular scrape mark. Maybe there's something to prevent that, time will tell.

2. Persona

Re: I actually like this idea

I looked at it and though "ugh" why? But your use case makes perfect sense. It's not something I would use it for, but you are probably a more representative user than me.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Yeah nah

See above.

3. aidanstevens

Two screens?

One screen is bad enough!

4. KittenHuffer Silver badge

The Robin Reliant of mobes!

I wonder how long before the smaller screen starts to resemble the roof of the average Robin Reliant?!? I'm sure that the smaller screen will not end up with a bunch of curved scratches on ... no ... no way will that happen.

For those in non-Brexitting countries a Robin Reliant was a plastic shelled three wheeled conveyance that had a habit of rolling onto its roof then gently spinning. This left it with circular scratches that were the mark of many more than a few years old.

1. Dabooka
      Headmaster

Re: The Robin Reliant of mobes!

Pedant alert;

It is a Reliant Robin not a Robin Reliant (Reliant being the manufacturer and Robin being the model).

1. Paradroid

As a kid who spent time being driven around in a Scimitar (probably listening to Dire Straits), I agree.

1. Dabooka

I had a right thing for them as a kid

2. KittenHuffer Silver badge
        Thumb Up

The Pedants are Revolting

Good point ..... well presented!

1. Dabooka
          Happy

Re: The Pedants are Revolting

Thank you kind sir.

Much appreciated.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Apart from the spectacular ability to capsize and other notable brainfarts, in many ways the Robin was ahead of its time. Because it was so light, it could use a much smaller engine and required thus much less fuel. But it really should never have left the "concept" stage.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fantastic! Finally, someone has solved the problem of ...

Erm ....

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Fantastic! Finally, someone has solved the problem of ...

Standing your phone on a table with a small slot in it?

Having a bommerang that can take pictures while in flight.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fantastic! Finally, someone has solved the problem of ...

It is a question of time until one of the most desperate makers start selling phones with small, pop-up side screens a la Kylo Ren lightsaber, but not as useful.

6. Mark192

I like this - much more useful than innovations from other manufacturers such as removing the headphone jack, removing SD-card slots, removing IR blasters or removing FM radios.

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Trollface

Yeah but by removing those things now, we can come back in a few years with brand new premium models which include things like headphone jacks, sd card slots and radios. That's what we call innovation!!!

--- The view from marketing in every big phone manufacturer...

7. maffski

Top Tip

Save money on the new LG dual screen rotata phone by joining your old phone to your new phone with an elastic band.

8. DS999 Silver badge

I didn't think anyone could take the idea of dual screen phones and make it even worse

I stand corrected.

9. Steve K

T-Mobile

You could brand it as a T-Mobile....

10. martin 62

what ever you do.....

Do not take your lg wing to the beach uness you like the sound of crunching gears and scratched screens....

11. FatGerman

Gillette?

The same thing is happening to phones as happened to Razors in the '90s. Having run out of new things to add to them, manufacturers have started adding more of the things they've already got. First it was more cameras, now it's more screens. I guess that's what happens when you have a business model based entirely on disposability and overconsumption. Phone with 12 cameras and 8 screens, anyone?

12. brakepad

LG has given the world another twist on the dual-screen phone

Thanks LG. Just one question: why?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like