back to article Dunkin' Donuts drops some dough to glaze over lawsuit accusing it of covering up customer account hacks

Dunkin' Donuts today settled a lawsuit in which it was accused of hushing up the fact hackers siphoned its customers' personal information from its systems in 2015. The US coffee-and-pastry slinger will refund said customers as part of an agreement [PDF] that will end a lawsuit brought against it by New York. The US state …

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Glutens...

...for punishment.

2. steven_t
    Coat

Security Hole

It seems that their security processes, like their products, had big holes in them

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The blues

Cops must be angry

4. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
    Alert

Dunkin' now...

They have removed the "Donuts" from their name.

Which is a Good Thing, as what they sell can hardly be called a donut any more. They're more like sugared bread. Bland and unremarkable. This is because they are now made at some central location and trucked to the stores every morning. To improve manufacturability, they are no longer fried, but only raised. Their "bagels" are of the same "quality"...basically bread.

I live outside Boston, and I remember when they used to be made in the stores, and you could get them warm. They weren't the best, but they were a damn sight better than the cr@p they offer nowadays.

I have located a couple of places that still make donuts in house and a couple of bagel places that do the same. Pricier and further away, but that's probably beneficial to my waistline, as I don't indulge as often.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dunkin Homers

Can't... secure... private information, too busy... eating.., myum myum myum

6. LoPath
    Paris Hilton

One on every corner

Many moons ago, I worked on a project for the Massachusetts State Police. It was strikingly odd and yet very noticeable that there was a Dunkin' Donuts within a block of every single police barracks in the state. And many of them were in strip malls right next door to a women's fitness center. Do you believe in coincidence?

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: One on every corner: Cause/Effect

It could be the other way round.

Dunkin' Donuts thinking that the locality of the police barracks would be an ideal place for an outlet.

And the woman's fitness centre thought they would get more custom if they were able to ogle the cops whilst exercising.

===

Massachusetts? Surely in the context of DD, that would be Mass Chew Sets.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: One on every corner: Cause/Effect

I've seen a lot of coffee and other snack shops near gyms and fitness centers, I think the logic being that after a workout one might think one has "earned" a triple large sugar bomb latte or something. Or "smoothies" that are seven parts pre-mix, three parts water to reconstitute, and a couple of berries tossed in to give the impression that there's more real fruit in it than there actually is.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020