back to article China’s UK embassy calls for probe into 'hack of Ambassador’s Twitter account'

China’s UK embassy has lashed out after the Twitter account of its ambassador Liu Xiaoming was apparently hacked. The account, @AmbLiuXiaoMing was accessed by unauthorised parties on Wednesday and expressed admiration for a tweet featuring an – ahem – adult entertainer. Other improbably-ambassadorial actions saw the account …

1. llaryllama

I don't know how these guys can keep a straight face writing propaganda on a platform that's completely banned in China.

1. Insert sadsack pun here

The smug and creepy metaphor doesn't help either.

2. cb7 Bronze badge

Wait, why the fook does the Chinese ambassador have a Twitter account when Twitter is banned/blocked in China anyway?

1. Flywheel Silver badge

So that he can monitor the decadence contained therein and report back to China that "they were right to ban it".

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only Chinese Officials are allowed to use "contraband"?

1. David 132 Silver badge

“All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others”

1. nematoad Silver badge

"...and employed despicable methods to deceive the public."

Xinjiang, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Tibet, Covid19 I could go on but you get the message.

4. Danny 5
    Mushroom

haha

I can only applaud efforts to ridicule Chinese officials, any sane person knows what a unbelievably criminal regime China has. They've really slid down under their new supreme leader as well, they're pretty much just a step up from north Korea now when it comes to state control.

Any Chinese official working abroad should be considered a security threat and as far as I'm concerned, they should be barred from any service that is barred in China.

1. Spasticus Autisticus

Re: haha

Unfortunately any person of Chinese descent is vulnerable to the CCP, no matter for how many generations they may have lived outside China. If there are relatives back in China then pressure can be exerted - 'it would be a shame if Uncle Ying and Aunt Tong lost their house, think of poor little cousins Tiddle, Aye and Po'.

We can only hope that whatever catastrophe China has to suffer again doesn't effect the rest of the globe too much.

1. Danny 5

Yeah true, their reach is far and their methods medieval. People would think twice about speaking up when it's their own health at stake, I don't think I want to know what kind of pressure one would be under if an entire family was used as a bargaining chip. I do get the feeling plenty are all too willing to follow suit though, don't forget their propaganda machine runs like clockwork within their borders.

2. Helcat

I'd disagree: Only those who care about some random relative back in China would be vulnerable to such pressure. If they don't care, or don't even know who their relatives are back in China, then they're not going to be worried about some threat to so some stranger, are they? And most who leave China do so because of how the CCP act, so they'd be prepared for such threats, yes?

Basically, it's not likely the CCP will be able to exert control over someone who left China unless that person was already under control by the CCP, or they're using it as as excuse when caught doing something to support the CCP that they really shouldn't have.

3. JCitizen Bronze badge
        Devil

I love your nom-de-guerre Spasticus! I shall LOL every time I see you post!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Twitter, release the IP's that made the tweets....

I bet they will show that they came from the same place as all the other activity on that account. The ambassador would be best asking for asylum.

6. disgruntled yank Silver badge

odd

So many users of Twitter massively embarrass themselves all on their own, and this guy needs outside help?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Recently, some anti-China elements viciously attacked Ambassador Liu Xiaoming’s Twitter account and employed despicable methods to deceive the public.

Let's not go overboard with the emotive language, or anything, shall we...

1. Kubla Cant Silver badge
      Headmaster

Authoritarian regimes always issue statements that sound like an old-fashioned Headmaster - lots of expressions like "despicable", "provocation", "hooliganism".

1. Alister Silver badge

Yeah, somehow I can't picture how one would "viciously attack" a Twitter account - maybe sledgehammers, pitchforks or other weapons were involved?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

China’s UK embassy has lashed out

well, they can always ban twitter in China MORE...

9. Anonymous South African Coward Silver badge

It's twatter, not twitter.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020