back to article Europe is falling behind in AI, we need to launch our second machine learning-powered satellite soon, says ESA

The European Space Agency is planning its second AI-powered climate-monitoring satellite, the Φ-sat-2, just days after it successfully launched its first one aboard the Vega rocket. The ɸ-sat-2 mission (pronounced phi, a letter of the Greek alphabet) will be similar to its predecessor; it’ll run computer vision algorithms to …

1. SteveK

A network of AI satellites?

Did they learn nothing from Terminator?

1. Chris G Silver badge

Termination

Is surely the ultimate answer to climate change.

There won't be any thinking being left who will care or be affected by it.

Maybe it's time to start researching assimilation.

2. Schultz Silver badge

AI for cloud and ship recognition ...

Sounds a bit like a pattern recognition problem to me. Does this deserve the I in the AI moniker? Just asking.

1. S4qFBxkFFg

Re: AI for cloud and ship recognition ...

AI has determined that the insertion of the string "AI" into requests for funding to politicians, and press releases, correlates strongly with increased funding, and greater numbers of mentions in mass media.

2. HildyJ Silver badge
      Pint

Re: AI for cloud and ship recognition ...

Almost all AI is just pattern recognition but the battle against misuse of the term seems to be a losing one.

For the applications described, this seems like a good data compression technique. Plus, I like boffins and space so have a libation on me.

3. 9Rune5 Silver badge
    Mushroom

nukular

Clearly ESA should shift its focus to offensive weaponry.

As the others get consumed by our new evil AI overlords, ESA must be ready to launch a devastating nuclear attack to make sure all AI gear gets knocked offline by massive EMPs.

(Can I have my peace price now?)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020