back to article TCL notices lockdown has made tablet market a thing again, tosses out pair of cheapish 'droid fondleslabs

China's TCL, in the process of reinventing itself from white-goods producer to consumer tech contender, has emitted its first two tablet computers – the TCL 10 TABMAX and TABMID. TCL has placed the TABMAX as a cheaper alternative to Apple's iPad or premium Android tablets from the likes of Samsung. Speaking to El Reg, TCL also …

1. davenewman

€299 isn't cheap

I have bought good Chinese Android tablets on eBay for £100 before. There is plenty of choice from suppliers with UK or EU warehouses.

1. DrewWyatt

Re: €299 isn't cheap

I don't think there is enough detail in the story to properly judge if it is cheap or not. The screen size is given, but not the technology or resolution. There is no mention of chipset, RAM or storage. This is fine, as this a news story, not a technical analysis

The details I can find are as follows:

IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors - 1200 x 2000 pixels, 5:3 ratio (~224 ppi density)

CPU - MediaTek Helio P22T (MT8768T) Octa-core (4x2.0 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4x2.0 GHz Cortex-A53)

GPU - Mali-G72 MP3

RAM - 4Gb

Storage - 64Gb.

That may help you decide if it is value for money or not.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

I'm surprised there isn't a market for rebadged Kindle Fires with proper Android. Way ahead of this stuff.

2. Anal Leakage

And with those screen resolutions, the Android phone apps blown up to tablet screen size will have breathtakingly high-resolution blown-up UI elements.

The Gaussian blurs around the aliased graphics will be *exquisite*.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Down

"loath to fork out for iPads"

Given that Apple counts its guarantee period from the time the thing is on the shelf, and not the date of purchase, you can damn well bet customers are loath to pay the price of a kit that won't be guaranteed for as long as it says on the tin.

3. David 132 Silver badge
    Trollface

“TABMAX”?

Well, it’s a better name than “Maxipad” I suppose.

4. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Pint

ASSISTANT ARCTURAN PILOT:

Is it? Is it, well, I ask myself: all gone soft haven’t they? Hitchhiking? What do they know about it? Get one of that lot to stick out their thumb, it would probably fall off. I mean it’s all just fat-cat business - what’s the name of that bloke who runs it now?

CAPTAIN:

Uh, Maxelcat.

ASSISTANT ARCTURAN PILOT:

Well you know what they say, don’t ya? They had to move to a bigger planet because he got so fat he kept sliding off the old one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020