back to article 5G router, anyone? MediaTek lobs cheaper chipset at telco carrier pigeons

With 5G increasingly touted as an alternative to existing fixed-line broadband connections, Taiwanese semiconductor biz MediaTek has pushed out its latest chipset for next-generation routers. The MediaTek T750 5G chipset uses a 7nm process, and is designed for low power consumption. It supports sub-6GHz frequencies for broader …

1. CrackedNoggin

"Swallowing some of the market held by fixed-line broadband providers should help absorb that cost [of 5G development], ..."

That's more than apparent through the carrier collective marketing strategy, with the sponsored-"news"/advertising blitz on 5G from the neighborhood pole.

However:

"... But the extremely high-frequency nature of the 28 GHz band means indoor coverage will be very poor. Being that 80 percent of device usage occurs inside of buildings, this means consumers would be resigned to 4G LTE or even 3G in those areas. ... As a result, when 5G becomes available, most buildings will require in-building cellular aids for reliable in-building coverage." [https://www.networkcomputing.com/networking/5g-will-hit-wall-literally-2019]

I am guessing that what will be required to make use of the highest bandwidth 5G FR2 (24.25 GHz to 52.6 GHz) is a building external receptor with line of sight connection to the neighborhood poll, and a fiber connection running from that to relay 5G transmitters (or wifi) inside the house. So the technician will still have drill a hole and put a cable though the wall in order to get the fiber equivalent data rates, but 5G will also require some extra hardware.

Certainly LTE will be eventually cannibalized to provide the mobile, outdoors, wall-penetrating bandwidths that 5G will require to maintain current cell phone usage patterns. So everybody will be using lower frequency 5G. But I'm not convinced at all that it can compete with fiber to the home.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yea, "5G" mm wave proximity is going to cost the telcos a fortune. I imagine they'll deploy them in dense markets but it's gonna cost the consumer 10x as much.

I'm with you on the ability to compete with fiber to the home.

24 GHz mm wave is impressive, but niche.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

3. James 47

I recently moved to Edinburgh from London and am using the Huawei device as a replacement for fibre. The SIM is Vodafone's pay monthly unlimited data one and is working nicely so far. 90Mbps is average so far, but should hopefully go up once I can get a 5G signal. The cost is slightly cheaper than my previous Virgin Media 100Mbps fibre deal. It remains to be seen how it holds up in stormy weather.

4. Ron Swanson

I don't know why mobile broadband hasn't taken off more. For the past 3 year, I've been using various unlimited data 4G sims in various 4G routers and constantly get about 40-80 Mbps connections wherever I live. With 4G+ now, I'm not getting 80-100 Mbps and run all the kit in my house plus Nexflix, Prime, etc off that. Next step will be a 5G sim in a Huawei 5G CPE pro to really ramp up the speeds. No wires, no long contracts, I can even bring the router to wherever I go. Can't think why I'd want to go back to having some cable attached to my house!

1. FatGerman

> I don't know why mobile broadband hasn't taken off more

Price. Unlimited broadband-only fibre + a data-limited phone contract costs less than half what the phone contract would cost if I upgraded it to unlimited data. It's more convenient yes, but not worth it at that price.

But for their own greed, EE would be making more money off me at Vigin's expense.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020