back to article Under fire for 30% cut, Apple really isn't giving anything away with introduction of subscription offer codes

Apple is tweaking its App Store to enable vendors to offer subscription codes. It has also informed developers that new digital service taxes will be deducted from their proceeds. The tech giant, under pressure to justify its 30 per cent take on app payments made through the App Store, has come up with the idea of subscription …

1. Joe W Silver badge

The Beatles

"should five percent appear to small / be thankful I don't take it all! / 'cause I'm the tax man"

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Coat

Re: The Beatles

Better not mention Apple Corps v Apple Computer

2. RyokuMas Silver badge
    Coat

I wonder...

"For the first year, Apple takes its normal 30 per cent cut, but after that it falls to 15 per cent."

A year from when? App launch or first use?

If I was to implement subscriptions in an app, but hide the button to allow users to access it until 366 days after tha app hits the store, would I get away with 15% across the board???

Not that I have anything to do with mobile app/game development these days, but still... a thought.

1. Recaf

Re: I wonder...

From the date an individual user makes their first subscription payment; Apple take 30% from any subscription payments they make within the first 12 months, 15% after that.

3. Warm Braw Silver badge

Apple has also informed its developers ...

I have a vague memory (IANAL) that contract law has some notion of equity, meaning that the contract is a result of valid negotiation between parties having, if not equal power, at least comparable stakes in the agreement. I'm not sure where "Apple has informed its developers..." fits in that picture of equitable negotiation between a company with a market cap of $2 trillion and a small independent developer.

1. gobaskof
      Unhappy

Re: Apple has also informed its developers ...

$2 trillion will buy you a lot of lawyers that will say otherwise.

1. Wade Burchette Silver badge

Re: Apple has also informed its developers ...

And $2,000,000,000,000 will also buy you a lot of politicians too.

4. hoola Bronze badge

Too big & too arrogant

All these major tech outfits have gone beyond the point that they are anything other than monopolies. They can do pretty much as they please as they have armies of lawyers and very deep pockets so any challenge is a war of attrition that they invariably win. The occasional loss is so small that in the grand scheme of things can just be written off as an operational cost. Anyone who though that the DST tax would come from net profits was misguided.

Given that for the most part they are all US based the only meaningful changes will come from that end. Unfortunately that is just not going to happen unless one of them does something so outrageous enough politicians are convinced to do something.

Given that the likes of Google/YouTube will not even remove videos of beheading for days or weeks and it is acceptable to just say "Sorry" it don't hold much hope.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: Too big & too arrogant

All taxes are passed on to the end customer. DST was never gonna be any different. Not without it being written into law that DST must be paid from profits, and there can be no price increases of any kind to compensate for profit reductions due to DST.

Which obviously was never happening. Can't upset big tech or do anything that actually reduces their vast profits.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020