back to article Pakistan demands TikTok and YouTube block 'vulgar' content

Pakistan has asked YouTube and TikTok to impose tighter censorship on content it deems "vulgar, indecent and immoral", including nudity and hate speech. The request from the Pakistan Telecom Authority (PTA), also "directed" YouTube to create "an effective content monitoring and moderation mechanism" to ensure that any of the …

1. Dinanziame Bronze badge
    Trollface

Good to know that you only need to block YouTube to remove all the vulgar content on the internet.

1. 759b954e-617b-408b-a2b1-f5a42c3688d4

No need for the trollface, you're actually not far off the mark :-)

2. jgarbo
    Facepalm

Oh Pakistan: no lewdness, snogging or cuddles, but heresy, apostasy and awkward religious qyestions get you lynched. My kinda place...

1. julian.smith
      FAIL

Just another religious shit_hole

Marching backwards ... unlikely to bother the scorer in the history books

3. Flywheel Silver badge
    WTF?

Offended? Don't watch it then.

Simple.

1. Giles C Bronze badge

Ah but if you don’t watch it how can you be offended?

I.e. I was very offended with xxxx but I watched it to the end and then the next bit to see if that was the same....

It is the same argument about tv featuring too much swearing, if you don’t want to see / hear it then turn off. Most stuff will have some sort of warning on it these days.

1. Flywheel Silver badge

if you don’t watch it how can you be offended

Without wishing to get into a much deeper discussion, it's often the case now that some people/groups can allegedly be offended by something solely by virtue of it existing. You don't actually need to see/hear it. Sad. Very sad.

4. IGotOut Silver badge

Offensive material.

That would be practising any religion other than Islam them?

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Offensive material.

Or evangelical christianity - the American Taliban is growing in both rhetoric and violence

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Block 'vulgar' content

Look, I don't like vulgarity very much. I prefer Beethoven, Rimsky-Korsakov and Tchaikovsky, personally.

But nudity ? I have no problem with that, I must admit, especially when it's a beautiful woman. So sue me.

That said, nudity everywhere is not something I appreciate either, but on the Internet, I have the choice of not clicking on it. So I'm responsible if I see nudity. That doesn't happen when I'm watching TV and suddenly a shampoo commercial (or car commercial) is spewed onto my screen with an alluring young woman. I don't have the choice, there, I have to submit, and most of the time, I couldn't care less.

It's always the same problem : the Internet is global, so the concerns are global. It doesn't matter if we consider an attitude to be backwards and puritan, Pakistan has the right to be backwards and puritan in its own space. The issue at hand is how that space translates into the global Internet.

It's going to be a while before we, as a species, get a handle on this issue.

1. DoctorNine

Re: Block 'vulgar' content

In Pakistan, it's not just our species we have to worry about though. You may want to look at some of the more eyebrow-raising laws about sheep and goats.

6. codejunky Silver badge

Ha

We can laugh at these people for wanting their level of daftness banned, but what is the demand in the west now? Banning and censoring.

As has already been said a few times, if you dont want to see it dont look for it.

7. msobkow

Pakistan should just go whole hog and cut their internet fibers.

They don't seem to want to deal with any issues of the modern world that they find "offensive", as if there is some "right not to be offended" somewhere. *LOL*

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Pakistan should just go whole hog and cut their internet fibers"

At one point they decided they were going to route the world and got perilously close to having the fibers cut for them.

Of course once Skylink is up and running they're going to have a wee problem banning anything (as is China, as is the Internet Watch Foundation, as are midwestern USA monopoly telcos)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Infamy infamy

They’ve all got it in for me!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020