back to article ByteDance says it will abide by China's new export laws

ByteDance, the Chinese owner of controversial social network TikTok, has signalled it will comply with China's new technology export control laws. The company used one of its Chinese networks – Toutiao – to say it "will strictly abide" by Chinese law. As The Register reported yesterday, China updated its export control laws …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

“personalized information push service technology based on data analysis"

Based on the sort of "your might be interested in" garbage the usual web souks* push at me I'd not expect the absence of this to make it any less valuable.

Perhaps this "valuable" technology could just be licensed. The licensing terms and audits could be based on those used by the successful purchaser for their own business software.

* to use standard el Reg terminology

1. Scene it all

Isn't "personalized information push service technology based on data analysis" exactly what Facebook and Google do?

1. vtcodger Silver badge

Wha???

"Isn't "personalized information push service technology based on data analysis" exactly what Facebook and Google do?"

Yes ... No ... Maybe ...? Perhaps it's about time our lawmakers took a good look at what Facebook and the Goog actually are up to. It might well be something we'd rather they weren't doing.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

"all-American security arrangements"

Does that include backdoored encryption ?

Just asking.

Mine's the one with the 4096b certificate.

3. NeilPost Bronze badge

Shareholder relief

Shareholders in Microsoft, Walmart, Oracle must be sighing a relief at this corporate insanity.

I’m still bemused that’s Walmart want to ditch Asda - a key part of their Global retail empire. It’s a bit dull but does good numbers and generates good cash year on year... and spend the money from that sale and a huge pile more for worthless Chinese social media tat.

4. Chairman of the Bored Silver badge

One hell of an expensive temper tantrum

Nobody in the US Govt cared about Tik Tok until (allegedly) it was used by teens to pump and dump attendance at Trump's Tulsa rally.

I suspect that neither Alphabet nor Walmart actually feel a sense of business urgency to buy that crap app. Perhaps it's more of a feeling of political urgency and a need to purchase favors from the royal court.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: One hell of an expensive temper tantrum

"(allegedly) it was used by teens to pump and dump attendance at Trump's Tulsa rally."

I was watching this at the time: There was a lot more activity on Twatter than Tiktok in this aspect, but that's US owned

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020