I am working as the sole system administrator for an organization—about 65+ servers—and have no formal education. The dude previously in my position (that was fired for being a massive egotistic sociopathic douchenozzle to everyone over the 12ish years he worked there) had a Bachelors in Computer Science and a bunch of certifications. He somehow managed to fuck up every single thing he touched, and I am still working every day to correct course.
Fun stories, no ul because I changed my handle 6 months ago:
- He once said "Guess I've gotta pop the top and see what RAM we have" when asked to increase the memory of a virtual server;
- He never did anything unless there was a chance of making himself look like a competent worker to the higher-ups or look like a God to the peons below and around him;
- When migrating files from one fileserver to another, he somehow busted up the target so bad that it had to be restored from tape;
- Instead of automating various things that I automated week one of my employment, he instead used them as an excuse as to why he could not get other work done;
- He frequently slept in his office—it was audible and loud;
- He laughed at the third-party movers that were utilized to carry a big leather couch up 3 flights of stairs, just to have them move it into his office;
- During his short stint as a manager, he only ever let us sit on his fancy couch when we were in trouble for something.
- He has assaulted employees in the past, and used foul language toward them in multi-CC mailing lists.
Sounds like a great guy to work with huh? Did I mention he was technically overqualified for his position? And that there is much, much more?