back to article Microsoft is not the enemy, why Google still runs 'Borg', and other insights from Kubernetes founders

Two of the early developers of Kubernetes, Brendan Burns and Tim Hockin, took part in (separate) "Ask me anything" events at virtual Kubecon Europe, offering insights into the past and future of the world's favourite container orchestrator. Kubernetes "all began in the fall of 2013", according to co-founder Brendan Burns, then …

1. Robert Grant Silver badge

I think what we are seeing is that it's clear most people don't really care about the underlying machines. They want them gone

Probably seeing that from the fact that Amazon built this 3 years ago, with Fargate.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Devil

Microsoft IS the enemy.

Just because they are playing nice today in a few areas does not discount they are a corporation who wants to monetize everything you touch on your PC.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: Microsoft IS the enemy.

Unlike every other for-profit corporation, who are definitely there to lose money and make the world a better place. To be clear, I am not defending Microsoft, but I find the notion that they are substantially worse than basically any other large corporation to be rather naive.

1. I like fruits
        Holmes

Stockholm syndrome, anyone? Short memory? Microsoft is a monopolist who was convicted leveraging it's power to crush competition. How many new ideas, technologies and businesses were purposefully destroyed by them? I'm convinced they held the industry back for a decade or so. We got out of stagnation only when the focus moved away from desktop.

You are right, Microsoft is better than tobacco companies. Anyway, I have a good memory and I still do not trust them.

1. quxinot Silver badge

*Sponsored by Microsoft.

I hope Mr. Hockin enjoys his newfound wealth.

2. Tomato42
        Boffin

Saying that a corporation must be chartered to make money is a common misconception

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

not as bad as google or facebook, at least i can steal from ms if i choose too, bit harder to steal from data slurpers, not like i can get an iso of that (as) easily....

3. chuBb. Bronze badge

vb for cloud, will look and smell a lot like jscript.....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020