back to article A Song of Iceland Fire: Scotland's Skyrora launches Skylark Micro rocket from volcanic viking outpost

Edinburgh-based Skyrora launched its two-stage Skylark Micro rocket from Iceland over the weekend. The Register spoke to business operations manager Derek Harris about the mission and what comes next. We spoke to Skyrora almost exactly a year ago as the company was exhibiting its Skylark Nano at the Bayes Centre during 2019's …

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Pint

30km?

Kudos to the team for the demonstration.

But I am reminded that Paris achieved the same height without any rocket motor at all :)

Nonetheless, the team are probably ready for -->

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

these guys will go bust long before they get a paying customer

1. werdsmith Silver badge

They have named the rocket Skylark after Britain’s original Skylark sounding rocket?

They have achieved 27km?

The original Farnborough / Westcott Skylark was flying to 200km in 1957, and was developed to almost 600km with 200kg payload.

There’s a way to go yet.

3. RM Myers
    Happy

As for why the Micro wasn't launched in Scotland, Harris said

Ah, ah

We come from the land of the ice and snow

From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: As for why the Micro wasn't launched in Scotland, Harris said

So I guess this test was Skyrora climbing the stairway to heaven?

1. RM Myers
        Happy

Re: As for why the Micro wasn't launched in Scotland, Harris said

I'm sorry, every time I see an article about Iceland, Immigrant Song just starts playing in my head. That is definitely in my top 5 favorite songs. But Stairway to Heaven is probably a more appropriate reference for an article about rockets. I gave you an upvote.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Baby steps, folks

Any new rocket needs to start somewhere and take baby steps towards becoming operational. Just look at all the Starship (nee Starhopper) whose maximum altitude is still measured in meters and whose next test is for 20 km. And the Starship has all of SpaceX's experience behind it. Companies just starting out have to start from scratch.

So raise a pint for the boffins involved. Or maybe a horn of mead, given the launch site.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like