back to article Whoa, no Huawei wares, Hua-wei, livin' on a prayer: US government says we've got to hold on to what we've got

The US Commerce Department on Monday took further steps to deny Huawei access to American chip-making technology – with the announcement of more restrictions on the China-based telecom goliath and its affiliates. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said the additional measures were necessary because Huawei has been trying to skirt …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stupid US

I hope the next president is able to repair the damage caused by this idiot in charge.

He’s playing an ace card far too early and is just making things harder for when the US will need leverage in the future.

China making what the US designed was the deal, keeping China a decade or more, home brew design wise, in the past was the desirable status quo. China designing and building cutting edge upsets the equilibrium.

I had thought Trump incentivising non China 5G was good for 5G competition, but I don’t even know where he’s going with this now, he’s never known where he’s going with this. Mr Magoo had more idea what he was doing than trump does.

1. martinusher Silver badge

Re: Stupid US

If it was just Trump then all we'd have to do is wait for him to go away. Unfortunately he's a symptom, not the actual problem.

There's another Reg article about tests on 'sub-600Mhz 5G" untertaken by Qualcomm. In China. This pretty much sums up our future. We'll be this idosynratic backwater, selling our soy beans and chorlinated chicken to whoever's hungry enough, while the rest of the world (less the usual suspects) just goes on without us. China will eventually make good the shortfall in chips -- after all, the majority of them are not bleeding edge super small geometry, they're using well understood processes -- and we'll be sitting there trying to think of some other way to cause trouble. (Nukes?)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

US produces Microsoft Windows, the dominant OS on computers that use a mouse as their primary pointing device. It also produces Oracle database products, the dominant database in companies that hire MBAs for CTOs. Not just Soy, also Maize!

If US wants to hit them where it hurts they could throw them into that briar bush! Block all Microsoft and Oracle products from China! Oh no, whatever would they do without Microsoft or Oracle products!??

Looking through the list, the Huawei Cloud ones are all the local cloud for a given market for their smartphone. Huawei also make their own networking and rack servers, so I think they don't use USA kit there anyway.

e.g. their rack servers:

https://e.huawei.com/en/products/servers/rh-series/

And a typical 'OpenLab' office, you can see from the floor plan its mostly the servers:

https://e.huawei.com/hk/partner/openlab/bangkok

But also, Wilbur Ross??? The Putin Oligarch bank guy? I thought he'd gone long long long ago after that scandal. He totally disappeared from view:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/mar/23/wilbur-ross-russian-deal-bank-of-cyprus-donald-trump-commerce-secretary

Good grief, the turds just keep floating to the top of the bowl. Give the world a courtesy flush already!

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Block all Microsoft and Oracle products from China! Oh no, whatever would they do without Microsoft or Oracle products!??"

No problem there. And as regards Windows in particular the Chinese already have that in hand with Deepin Linux.

2. gforce

The old saying 'keep your friends close BUT keep your enemies closer' is very apt & one that is totally ignored by Humpty Dumpty Trumpy. This will come back & bite the US & the rest of the world as China very quickly develops the necessary technologies & them swamp's other producers.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I suppose when the US has no remnants of feet left they'll stop shooting at them.

3. beep54
    FAIL

Trump

seems hell-bent on destroying America before he's finally ousted

4. IGotOut Silver badge

He doesn't care.

Educated chip designers are not his voting demographic.

Chest thumping racists are.

This plays to them.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where does this leave Samsung and Mikrotek?

After all they have a solid chip making industry. Surely they will gain (American Allies ?) . Someone needs to feed the Chinese phonemakers, especially the new 5G cheapo handsets !

Wonder how much Cisco has donated to the Trump campaign to pick only on Huawei (who are ahead in 5G).

I woulod love to see the drama unfold if a Chinese company makes a bid for ARM, now that it is for sale again by Softbank.

We live in interesting times.

1. Maelstorm Bronze badge

Re: Where does this leave Samsung and Mikrotek?

I woulod love to see the drama unfold if a Chinese company makes a bid for ARM, now that it is for sale again by Softbank.

There wouldn't be much drama. The U.S. government would block the sale.

6. Maelstorm Bronze badge

To be fair, China cannot be trusted, and for good reason. Remember the spyware fiasco with Lenovo? Or how about the spy chip that was discovered on Supermicro blade server boards that were shipped to something like 30 companies and the U.S. Department of Defense? With those incidents and others, I can see why the U.S. is playing hardball with Huawei, and China by extension. However, in this case, the Orange Man is cutting off his nose despite his face.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Also, in the interest of fairness, neither can the USA.

Pot meet Kettle. Or should that be Umpa Loompa meet Winnie the Poo?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So why attack Huawei, and not Lenovo and/or Supermicro?

3. To Mars in Man Bras!
      Facepalm

>the Orange Man is cutting off his nose despite his face

The phrase is; "...TO SPITE your face"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020