back to article COVID-19 has done what Microsoft and Intel couldn't – given people a reason for a PC upgrade

Lenovo's long-suffering data centre group has posted considerably increased revenue and a modest loss, thanks to increased engagements with hyperscale clients. The tech titan today announced [PDF] fiscal Q1 20/21 revenue of $13.3bn, up 7 per cent year-on-year. Revenue growth would have topped 10 per cent were it not for …

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Upgrades not replacements?

I would have thought that any machine that can run Windows 10 ought to be okay for remote working. But I do know of a few companies that used government largesse to buy notebooks for workers so that they could work remotely, which is the kind of stimulus the government was after.

But this will be one off.

1. Lon24

Re: Upgrades not replacements?

Would be interesting to see how the IdeaPad/Thinkpad ratio changed.

Do you buy a business machine or a home machine for doing business at home? I guess it depends on who buys - the corporate or the user. New Thinkpad prices are a bit daunting to the home user not sure of their future employment prospects.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Upgrades not replacements?

If the business bought it, it's probably a Thinkpad so it's easier to standardize and repair. I think that was probably most of it, as Lenovo is better known to businesses than to the average home user. Home users may have gone out to buy new machines to some extent, but they probably buy whatever is available at the local shop, which probably means cheaper machines from Dell, HP, or Asus. Also, home users are more likely to slow their purchases while businesses which previously used desktops had reason to buy lots of laptops at short notice, so that might also contribute to a primarily business-oriented buying spree.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How come we are still allowed to buy them?

Does the Stable Jenius think Lenovo is Italian ?

3. Rol Silver badge

Follow the money

My mate, despite all my protestations, still gets most of his news from the likes of Twitter and other mischievous social media. As a result, he is convinced the lockdown is a scam. I throw doubt at him when I ask "Well who benefits" at that point he goes quiet, but this article would have him pointing to pc manufacturers, and chip makers, and at that point, knowing how Intel operates, it will be me going quiet.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Follow the money

"when I ask "Well who benefits" at that point he goes quiet,"

Even the thickest of conspiracy theorist could answer that in a heartbeat with "BigPharma" at the very least. Not to mention "Deep State", or "Bill Gates and his chip implantation program disguised as vaccines". I'm sure there wilder and more convoluted ones out there, possibly multiple theories interlaced. Actually, the Bill Gates chip/vaccine things is weird. If that was true the "miracle vaccine" would have been "discovered" at the height of lockdown. Not still be months (if ever) away, still. I'm sure the conspiracy theorists have an answer to that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021