back to article Sources: Oracle Commerce Cloud devs laid off as platform struggles to gain traction, move to modern architecture

A bunch of Oracle developers supporting its Commerce systems are being let go as Big Red seeks to downsize the struggling platform. Sources close to the development teams in Northern Ireland and Massachusetts, US have confirmed a number of layoffs. Meanwhile, some of the remaining team members said they were nervously seeking …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Up

"Big Red seeks to downsize the struggling platform"

Well I think Oracle is not going to have any problem downsizing it now.

Developers are leaving. That means it's not a good idea to invest in it. That means there will be no customers.

This is undoubtedly going to be a successful downsizing operation.

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

Confusing

If reading this I get confused between Oracle Commerce, which appears to be in the cloud, and Oracle Commerce Cloud, ditto I wonder how well it sells to businesses.

3. Robert Grant Silver badge

Erm

> They added that Oracle is still developing the platform, which it pointed out was named in the Gartner Magic Quadrant for Digital Commerce in 2019

Sounds like some Gartner analysts got to buy new cars this year, then. Lucky them.

4. HildyJ Silver badge
    Devil

Downsizing

First, let's fire all the developers. But we'll keep the lawyers, licensing bean counters, and maybe some sales reps.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: Downsizing

This seems to be the accepted pattern everywhere. If profits are down they get rid of the people who do stuff that can be sold. If necessary bring in in expensive consultants to help them. My impression is that the beancounting school of management that now prevails sees the product as a just about necessary nuisance that gets in the way of making money. Where possible they'd prefer to rely on intangible assets, like branding, rather than having to invest in product development and manufacturing. At the other end of the process they will willingly sell crap versions of the product they're known for (with higher mark-ups because the cost price is so much lower). By the time the customers realise they're being ripped off and the company has nose dived they'll all be long gone to wreak havoc elsewhere, but will have accrued massive payments on the backs of short term share value rises.

1. Mark192

Kinda makes sense - without developers both on the board and in senior management positions they're well out of their depth.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

It's more than that. The management consultants (and the managers who consult them) actively believe that management is content free. You don't need to have worked on the line to understand the business. In fact they believe that you don't even need to know about the business' product. It's all universal processes that apply equally everywhere.

2. Roo
      Windows

They should have fired all the management and sales teams a long time ago given that they failed to look after their customers and failed to make proper use of their developers.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Oracle are fast becoming the slow Sybase of databases...

I know what I mean.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021