back to article Intel talks up its 10nm Tiger Lake laptop system-on-chips as though everything is going according to plan

Intel has revealed details of its 11th Generation Core technology, including its Tiger Lake laptop-friendly system-on-chip family featuring Willow Cove CPU cores and so-called SuperFin 10nm transistors. Despite a delay in the chip maker's 7nm production plans after years of stalling with 10nm, credible competition from AMD, …

1. Sparkus

Wondering if the compiler efficiencies for graphics drivers will trickle down to the older, but near-universal HD 620/630 graphics cores........

1. J27 Bronze badge

Highly unlikely, they'll find support for non-Xe iGPUs severely scaled back.

2. Maximum Delfango Bronze badge
    Facepalm

That press release in full...

"Other firms talk about 7nm. Pah! Here at Intel, the talking's done: we're one not 1nm, not 2nm, but, yes, 3nm better! Ladies and Gentleman, may I present the 3nm betterated Intel 10nm with 3nm extra in every chip! And not much data leakage either! And a hidden-for-your-benefit management subsystem with more back doors than the average whorehouse! Hey! Why are you all leaving!? Free pen, anyone?"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That press release in full...

I get what you're saying but what does 7nm even mean? It's not an industry standard and it's just a marketing name. Other than 7 being a smaller number than 10 are there any specific features of the 7nm TSMC process you can name?

1. Rol Silver badge

Re: That press release in full...

7nm allows interpolar mishtabbing and mashable burfing architecture, while 10nm is too big to get all of that on one die and you just end up with a mishmash instead.

I do agree it will be some years before 7nm becomes an industry standard, but that's Intel for you.

Hopefully Intel will catch up so we can be assured by the rightful guardians of industry standards that 7nm is in fact an industry standard.

I hope AMD don't do anything foolish in the meantime and start churning out 5nm chips, as I very much doubt Intel will ever get to the point that they can validate it as an industry standard.

Perhaps if customer's voted with their feet, then they might just dislodge Intel from being the arbiter of standards, and a new monarch might ascend, one that is kind, benevolent, far seeing and innovative, and not the twisted Richard we've had to suffer all these years. I bet Intel have more than a couple of missing princes in the tower to account for.

1. Schultz Silver badge

7nm [... and '''] the rightful guardians of industry standards

Who cares about industry standards. My son got his first 'budget' laptop for school and it is now the most powerful computer in our house. Based on one of the new low-power 7 nm Ryzen chips. Impressive.

It's been a while since I upgraded any hardware ... prices just didn't come down and performance gains seemed very incremental. But maybe that was just Intel stagnating and we had to wait a few years for AMD to catch up.Let's see if Intel will get back into the action.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

I get what you're saying...

^^^ http://viz.co.uk/category/mr-logic/

3. RM Myers Silver badge
    WTF?

The Problem with Briefings and Press Released

Everybody always says their new product is the best/fastest/most efficient/what ever other ill-defined term marketing comes up with and the lawyers think they can get away with. The reality is, you really won't know until unbiased sources can test and compare them.

However, I will give Intel credit - they may just have set a new record for buzzwords in one briefing. When I worked in a hospital lab, we used the abbreviation TNTC* for situations like this.

* Too numerous to count

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge

ML also ran?

While the architecture improvements do sound good: if you can drop the voltage you get more done with the same power draw, it's difficult to see the other stuff, particularly the ML stuff getting anyone very excited. People with big ML requirements can already choose from a range of established stacks from AMD, nVidia, Amazon, Google et al, with the Amazon offering showing the flexibility of the ARM architecture. And why are the alternatives around? Because Intel was too slow to listen to customer and see the potential.

But the company still has some great hardware and software engineers.

1. Daniel von Asmuth

Re: ML also ran?

Gweat. I just wonder what MSROM means and what it does. (ML is a Scottish programming language).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ML_%28programming_language%29

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: ML also ran?

Sorry, I know about the ML language but preferred the abbreviation for machine learning over the less specific (and less relevant) "AI".

5. Zola

"Layers a few Angstroms thick"

It all sounds very good, and nice to see Intel actually innovating again (now that they have to). However one can only hope that these new CPUs don't suffer the same fate as the Intel Atom C2000 SoC that died after a couple of years. The cautious may be advised to take a pass on this new unproven design.

1. Snake Silver badge

Re: "Layers a few Angstroms thick"

So they are going [back] to multiple dies on a component - you know, the System/360 paradigm that also worked for Pentium Pro.

So what is old becomes new. Again.

The more serious question raised, through careful reading, is the proposed RAM-CPU stack with the RAM on top. And exactly how thermally efficient in shedding heat, without causing random bit errors in the now-heated RAM, will this proposed design be??

Call me naive but this doesn't sound like a good plan...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That crunching noise

is the competition eating your lunch.

7. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Is it just me,

or does Raja Koduri look a bit like Rolf Harris?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is it just me,

Nope, not just you! Every photo I've seen of him gives me a very creepy feeling.

1. SuperGeek

I saw Colonel Sanders in him before Rolf Harris....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>>>I saw Colonel Sanders in him before Rolf Harris....

What an horrific scenario.

2. Aussie Doc Bronze badge
          Mushroom

MY EYES!!!

8. Ted's Toy

Please tell the marketing dept.

14 + means 14 plus something

so 10+ will be the next generation with the size or something increasing, Surely it should read 14- 14-- 14--- 14---- now 12nm so on to get to a smaller no. Using 10 plus means going the other way getting bigger. All the way back to 14nm

9. Chris the bean counter Bronze badge

With Intel its what they didnt say

No mention of yield and iirc performance of Icelake.

Althouugh it was an architecture day if 10nm yield had improved significantly they would have shouted from the rooftops with a % yield quoted.

They didn't so consider this vapourware.

Must be very frustrating for the brilliant engineers to produce great designs that may not be manufactured in quantity

10. Greg 38

20 metal layers!

If I counted the layers on their sketch correctly, there are like 20 metal layers on these chips. That's a boatload of deposition, polish, via litho and etch, metal litho and etch, ALD dep at lower metal layers, copper electroplate at higher metal layers and polish again. With each step introducing defects. Hats off to getting a manufacturable process.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020