back to article We spent way too long on this Microsoft, Intel, Adobe, SAP, Red Hat Patch Tuesday article. Just click on it, pretend to read it, apply updates

Patch Tuesday used to be Microsoft's day to release patches. Now Adobe, Intel, and SAP are routinely joining the fun – with special guest star Red Hat this month. Redmond on pace for record patch volumes If you've felt overwhelmed by the sheer number of security patches Microsoft has emitted this year, you are not alone. Patch …

1. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Happy

Well Done

That's an impressive number of [ easily confused ] number-labels and associated links.

2. Duncan Macdonald

The best fix for Adobe Reader

Is to use Evince instead. If all you want from Reader is to be able to read PDF files then Evince will do the job nicely. (Unfortunately Evince is not suitable for interactive PDF documents.) I have both on my system and Adobe Reader is only used 2 or 3 times a year to handle interactive PDF files.

If Adobe Reader is not run then the bugs in it are far less important.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The best fix for Adobe Reader

The best fix for Adobe Reader is not to run anything from Adobe at all, or, if you absolutely have to, not run it on Windows.

Can't build a house on quicksand (well, OK, unless you're really quick and don't intend it to last :) ).

1. Psmo
        Holmes

As any ful know:

People think you're daft building a castle on quicksand, so you build it anyway just to show 'em.

It sinks into the quicksand.

So you build another one.

That one burns down, falls over then sinks into the quicksand.

The third one stays up.

2. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

PDF-XChange Viewer, anyone? Adobe Reader is just so unnecessarily huge, and runs annoying background services too. It bugs me when websites still say something like "You'll need Adobe Reader to open PDF files". Even Firefox does it for you these days.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

I quite like Sumatra because it doesn't keep a file lock and you can refresh it, so if you generate PDFs from another source you can make changes to the source, run the generator, refresh, and see the output update. Shame it's Windows only.

1. GrumpenKraut

An equivalent for non-Windows systems would be MuPDF (Sumatra uses the MuPDF-lib for rendering pdfs). Top-tip: "Sending a SIGHUP signal to the mupdf process will also cause the viewed file to be reloaded" (from the man page).

3. don't you hate it when you lose your account

Was too long

Spent so long reading it got hacked

4. GrumpenKraut

Did read the article.

Aloud. Have to sleep on the couch for a week now.

1. Psmo

Re: Did read the article.

Your poor cat...

5. Sammy Smalls

If I were a cynic

I might suspect that these vulnerabilities are designed to keep people on the upgrade hamster wheel.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If I were a cynic

Or make asphyxiation transmitted via meatspace networking seem "not so bad".

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So..

.. is that RH patch the only one?

The large volume of patches suggests just how much time and thus man hours you would save by not running Windows to start with..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So..

really? How many bug fix advisories or security fix advisories do you think I had emailed form RedHat this month...........................

76!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: So..

Operative word: MONTH.

7. chivo243 Silver badge
    Windows

Next week

After other people burn their fingers on the Hot Releases from M$. I await the article bemoaning an update that bricked\borked systems, then I'll run updates.

8. RM Myers
    Unhappy

Happy Days

I've been getting lots of bios/formware updates and driver updates for computers, TV, and router the last two weeks. Just to keep things interesting, AMD, or more likely ASUS, has totally screwed up their BIOS listing to the point that I'm not sure if I have the current BIOS for my motherboard or not. I have version 2602, which is no longer on their website. Is there an explanation for this? Silly question.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like