back to article India awards apps that offer citizens Microsoft and Google alternatives

India has named apps that it thinks citizens could do worse than adopt in the spirt of the nation’s self-reliance push, and the list includes competitors to software from global giants like Microsoft and Google. The apps were named at the conclusion of an "App Innovation Challenge" that Indian prime minister Narendra Modi …

1. aki009

Must be election season in India

Yes, I know their general election was last year. But this kind of posturing usually only happens when an election is near.

1. BrownishMonstr Bronze badge

Re: Must be election season in India

Thing is, whilst it seems silly, I would advocate for a similar EU-wide approach.

There's nothing worse than your personal details going to another country, especially one that likes to think it can do anything it likes with it.

You wouldn't want to be "outed" if your community is against you being gay, or whatever your secret is, and your life could be in danger. I don't think spies care about your life, their information is more valuable than Shitebag#1337.

1. Louis Schreurs Bronze badge

coincedence?

Torrent Search Engine | 1337x.to

1. BrownishMonstr Bronze badge

1337 means LEET, no?

2. IGotOut Silver badge

Is there going to be a new term..

"The Trump Effect"

Def. In order to protect your own self interests, create an aggressive stance, forcing others to back away and no longer work together, thus undermining your original intent.

1. quxinot Silver badge

Re: Is there going to be a new term..

Are we really so daft to assume that Trump was the first person to demonstrate that strategy?

3. IGotOut Silver badge

NATO Spending.

I'm pretty sure this is why Trump wants everyone to increase NATO spending, because the main supplier would be the US. So good for India choosing to spend more on homegrown kit.

Just wish we would do the same.

4. LDS Silver badge

'adjust the way they do business '

Or just increase the bribes?

1. First Light Bronze badge

Re: 'adjust the way they do business '

Sadly, that is more likely what will happen.

5. P.B. Lecavalier
    Thumb Up

Indie-a

Not a fan of any "self-sufficiency" cheap nationalist talk, but I can't argue against promotion of services outside of the usual behemoths (M$, Google, Facebook). That is until they get bought and gutted.

6. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Overdue, really

I've not been tracking it closely, but China-India relations have been complex at best for several decades. In particular, China's oft-stated desire to end "unipolar world" is shown to be a farce where India is concerned. They want to be the sole dominate power. Which is pretty well true of any power, really.

The idea of any power being truly independent is a farce if it depends on another power for anything necessary to defend itself in war. You may believe that such concerns are atavistic, but China's relationships with its neighbors belies that idea.

The recent escalation of hostilities on the China-India border is what seems most relevant to me, from a timing standpoint.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020