back to article Capital One fined $80m for shoddy public cloud security. Yeah, same bank in that 106m customer-record hack

Capital One must pay a trivial $80m fine for its shoddy public cloud security – yes, the US banking giant that was hacked last year by a miscreant who stole personal information on 106 million credit-card applicants in America and Canada. That swiped data included 140,000 US social security numbers and 80,000 bank account …

1. RM Myers Silver badge
    FAIL

"stole personal information on 106 million credit-card applicants in America and Canada."

Ah yes, another day, another successful migration to the cloud. I'm sure all the executives involved in the migration have added it to their CV's, along with how much money they saved Capital One by being able to eliminate those pesky IT people who maintained the on premise systems. Those IT people can be a real pain, with their constant requests for additional money for security and push back about why your latest brilliant idea might not be safe. You don't need to worry about those things in the cloud, the cloud is secure by design and the cloud vendors aren't going to criticize your pet project. Definitely a win-win situation for everyone!

2. Potemkine! Silver badge

Weird PR BS

“The OCC took these actions based on the bank's failure to establish effective risk assessment processes prior to migrating significant information technology operations to the public cloud environment and the bank's failure to correct the deficiencies in a timely manner,”

We appreciate our regulators’ recognition of our positive customer notification and remediation efforts, and remain committed to working closely with them to ensure that we meet the highest standards of protection for our customers.”

I always see PR people as ugly gnomes busy to flatter their devil masters all day long. One has to have soul ablated before working in PR.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Weird PR BS

Ever since Space Force, anyone says "PR" and I immediately think of "Fuck Tony"...

Genius.

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Pirate

Important correction

Hello,

I'm Lathrop Stocktons from the OCC. Due to pandemic security measures put in place, we nead to send you a new US Treasury bank account number for the levied $80 million civil penalty. Please use #00091000019 for this transaction, it will be valid for the next 7 days. Delays beyond this date may result in further penaltys.

Thank you,

Lathrop Stocktons

Senior OCC accountent

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021