back to article Well, that was quick: Google brutally culls Pixel 4 and 4 XL before successor hits market

Just days after unveiling its latest Pixel 5 flagship, Google has retired the last-gen Pixel 4 and 4 XL smartphones. The phones are no longer available to purchase through Google's official US outlet, and the Chocolate Factory has confirmed that it has no plans to restock. "Google Store has sold through its inventory and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"updates for at least 3 years from when the device first became available"

So, if you got one at the end of its availability, that's going to be closer to 2 years.

Not good, given they ain't cheap!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "updates for at least 3 years from when the device first became available"

Not wishing to offend Google's self-ambulating biological data acquisition units (well, not much), and although some iPhones are indeed very crazily expensive, it just goes to show that iPhones are certainly a lot better value for money in the OS support lifetime (and unnecessary e-waste reduction) stakes, that's for sure.

1. bazza Silver badge

Original iPhone SE still getting OS updates, and no particular sign of them drying up any time soon. Pretty good deal so far as these things go.

1. katrinab Silver badge
          Happy

The 5S is still getting security updates, though not the latest version of iOS. It was launched nearly 7 years ago.

1. bazza Silver badge

It is? Well now I’m tempted to have a new battery put in my old SE. It’s still perfectly usable otherwise, and if there’s the prospect of at least security updates for a few more years it’d make a perfect backup phone, for in case.

I’m a BlackBerry traditionalist by nature, but I have concluded after trying both Android and Apple that Apple are the better bet. Ah, if only BlackBerry had been first with BB10, instead of last... Oh well. At least Apple seem to believe in software maintenance, even if the end result is occasionally a bit haphazard.

2. BoredTyke

Poor Pixel 4

I got one a 4 last year, and I'd like to stick up for the maligned little guy!

I get along with it fine - it's my first Pixel, and the first phone I've had in a long while that I haven't noticed deteriorating with age, or having to worry about quirks and oddities cropping up before the contract ends (I've probably just tempted the wrath of the planned obsolescence gods now!).

It was my first trip back to flagships in a while as Apple, Samsung and Sony turned me off that game (the latter was a long shot I know, but in my defence, it did seem promising before a rapid deterioration), but I've genuinely enjoyed having it. It just does the stuff I want, and does it without fuss.

That's probably more down to me not being a bleeding edge user, and my expectations being lower after some proper duffers though.

3. DS999 Silver badge

Probably because they'd have trouble selling them

Once the new ones are out, at least not without a hefty discount. This lets them clear out the channel of the old model before the new one goes on sale.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: Probably because they'd have trouble selling them

Also they are attempting to reduce costs by standardizing production, which is why the 4a has no customization.

4. PhilipN Silver badge

Why the surprise?

Phones and computers are now at the stage that hi-fi equipment reached years ago.

You know as soon as you buy it it is out of date,

One year??/ God, that's OLD!

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: Why the surprise?

Google killing off hardware products quicker than it can kill off online services? The staff there must be on some sort of bonus scheme...

2. Julz

Re: Why the surprise?

Hi-fi? I still use components I bought in the seventies so if phones and computers lasted forty plus years then I might go with your argument. If however you mean that one is tempted to 'upgrade' to the latest poorer quality equipment by the promises of useless functionality and 'modern' styling, then perhaps.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It was a mercy cull, the Pixel 4/XL phones were complete poo from the get go!

1. DJV Silver badge

They may have got to the "get" but the "go " eluded them completely, so they went for the "gone" instead.

(Damn, I must stop taking those pills amanfrommars sent me...)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like