back to article AMD helps Dell, HPE, Lenovo to cut Windows Server 2019 licence costs – if you buy tin packing Epyc Rome CPUs

HPE has announced a scheme to make its AMD-powered servers an exceptionally well-priced option for users of Windows Server 2019. The “Microsoft AMD Pilot Program” means that if you buy a 32-core Windows Server 2019 Standard or Datacenter licence from HPE, and run it on an HPE server packing an AMD Epyc Rome processor, that …

1. Mr Dogshit

ProLiant and AMD

My first choice every time.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hadn't realised that Windows Server licensing was charged per CPU core. Yes - that'll be pretty expensive if you have 128 cores... maybe grab a copy of Debian?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

HPE slashes Windows costs

and in the real world we have been running AMD Proliant servers since 2012 and with Windows since 2018. We have bought Intel but they just dont perform as well and dont give the bang for buck long term the Epyc processors have given us.

Core count licensing costs has always been an issue when selecting the processor which is the same for Intel. The HPE DL385 servers have proven to be such a beast performance wise that Intel isnt even a consideration for our next server cluster.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I hadn't realised that Windows Server licensing was charged per CPU core. Yes - that'll be pretty expensive if you have 128 cores... maybe grab a copy of Debian?

In the business world the people running the business tend to select the productivity software that the business runs on, and then the operating system environment is picked on the basis of "what does this require".

The (sector leading) productivity software makes our staff 5x more effective in terms of work done in a given time than by unautomated processes. There is literally no suitable productivity software available for Linux in our sector.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021