back to article Network sniffers find COVID-19 did not break the internet – though it was behind a massive jump in outages

Global internet disruptions went up 63 per cent after February and remained elevated throughout the first half of 2020 compared to pre-pandemic levels, according to net and cloud researcher ThousandEyes. In March, as much of the world entered pandemic-related lockdowns, the number of outages across ISPs, cloud providers, …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Despite fewer outages overall

Fewer idiots with JCBs roaming the land ?

On the other hand, promising everyone 100MBit at home and then finding that they all want to use it during the day ....

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Re: Despite fewer outages overall

Very true. I've given up on Virgin for just that reason. I don't need 100Mbit: I've got FTTC that's rock solid at 36Mbit, and it's actually much better.

2. Sway

Re: Despite fewer outages overall

The little yellow cable finders are all parked up.

2. YetAnotherJoeBlow Bronze badge

I live in the Philippines and internet has just been shite. My net at home can only muster 14KB uplink! I am extremely lucky to get 900kb/s download. Globe is the worst but Smart is not much better.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I can feel your pain, Inter-ISP peering in PH is an absolute fucking dog to work with - PLDT won't peer with Globe and any reasonable level, and vice-versa. So if your content is in Globe, PLDT users are screwed.

You'd assume with PH the issue would be mainly caused by geography - many islands and all that - but it's not, it all comes down to a bunch of execs with their heads up their rhetoricals viewing their business as more of a gang family than a business that should interoperate for their user's benefit

1. T. F. M. Reader Silver badge

heads up their rhetoricals

That's a most unexpected use of the word. True to form, it was used to a significant effect without affecting the actual information flow. Was it intentional?

Forget it - that was a r....l question. Have an upvote.

3. -tim
    Flame

5G protester outages?

How many recent outages have been caused by 5G sabotage? Some idiot trying to burn down a tower ended up damaging the fiber going to work causing nearly a whole day outage due to the fire being started in a pit.

I've started collecting magnetrons out of dead microwaves. I'm not sure if I should mail them to the idiots I find or just put them up on sane neighbors roofs.

Should I have used the warning icon rather than the fire icon since that will be inside the box with "warning microwave generating magnetron!"

1. Ben Tasker Silver badge
      Joke

Re: 5G protester outages?

We've got a few of those nutters round here, so I occasionally see posters on lampposts. I did toy with an idea...

You know in the IT Crowd they make "the internet" and lend it to Jen.

Similar basis - little box with an LED in the top, and a magnet in the bottom.

Sticker on the side - "5G wave amplifier, property of Microsoft" - or similar

Make a few of them, and then start deploying them onto cars around the houses of the nutters.

Technically, though, I guess you could find yourself getting done for criminal damage

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021