back to article It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas: Fondleslab sales shoot up to festive season levels as folk work from home

All of the tablet vendors' Christmases have come at once: sales into the channel went through the roof in Q2 at levels only typically seen during the winter holiday quarter amid a coronavirus-induced buying frenzy. Shipments went up a whopping 26.1 per cent year-on-year globally to 37.542 million with all the major device …

1. chivo243 Silver badge
    Coat

Working from home? I wonder

If there is an increase in traffic to adult viewing that might correlate with these fondleslab sales?

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Re: Working from home? I wonder

Quite. I'm not sure exactly what useful work people can do on a tablet (aside from having video meetings). Unless they attach a keyboard to it. At which point it becomes an expensive and generally inconvenient laptop.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

A cheap fondleslab is cheaper and works better than some God-awful cheap laptop running Windows 10 with only 32GB of storage and the kids can use it to connect to classes online, freeing the laptop for parents.

1. autisticatheist
          Linux

Wipe Win10 and put Linux on it, it'll fly.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Possibly (Linus' Tech Tips, 14 mins).

If I'm in the market for a dirt cheap device which allows online classes, I think I would try my luck with a tablet.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The perfect storm. Apple/App obsolescence and Covid-19.

A combination of iOS 9.x devices becoming obsolete and Covid-19.

I'd held off upgrading an iPad 3 which I'd had since March 2012. I remember getting it the week it came out, opting for the base 16GB model.

I'd chosen the base model because of the sealed battery and the £400 cost, there was no point buying more storage space, if it was going to get replaced in a year or two due to the sealed battery losing its capacity, so looked at what I needed at the time and kept things to a minimum.

It turns out it lasted me 8 years and the battery still shows 78% but over that time it went from a device that you couldn't fault out of the box, snappy and usable to practically unusable, due to a series of slow bloated/buggy software updates, to a point now where Safari resets virtually every time it attempts to open a complex web page.

Yet, the day I bought it, it was an absolute marvel, the Samsung retina display especially (and still probably better than the one on the iPad 2018, in terms of colour calibration). I really struggled to find fault with the device, back then.

I look at iOS today, it seems mostly full of useless bloat.

1. DS999

Re: The perfect storm. Apple/App obsolescence and Covid-19.

If Safari is crashing ever time it tries to open a complex web page, the battery is no longer functioning well. No lithium battery will last 8 years in a device you use regularly.

3. RM Myers Silver badge
    Coat

"I look at iOS today, it seems mostly full of useless bloat"

Useless to you and me maybe, but for Apple it is a veritable goldmine. That bloat makes the old Ipad or Iphone basically unusable, as you mentioned, which drives people to buy new I-Things. Definitely a win-win-win situation for Apple, the customer, and the environment.

Okay, maybe just 2 out of the 3 - Apple probably gets no joy from your upgrading. They just do it as a public service for the customers and environment. Seriously, who could think differently.

Ducks head as Apple fanbois chase me out the exit.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021