back to article World takes tablets during COVID lockdowns, with shipments spiking 18%

Tablet computer shipments have grown by 18.6 per cent thanks to the COVID-19 crisis. The latest figures from analyst firm IDC show a double digit bump to 37.6 million units in worldwide tablet shipments for the second quarter of 2020, which bore the brunt of the coronavirus lockdowns. The previous two quarters both saw tablet …

1. DS999

Shows the limits of IDC's tracking

Apple reported a 31% gain in iPad sales versus the 1.3% that IDC saw. Apple's numbers are revenue not units but since they didn't change the price mix that's likely to be around the gain they saw in unit sales.

IDC can only track third party sales, they can't see it when Apple, Dell etc. do direct sales. In a pandemic where stores are closed and people are reluctant to visit them even if open if they don't have to, that's a pretty huge blind spot.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Re: Shows the limits of IDC's tracking

Are they comparing like with like? Where does the iPad pro sit? What about crossovers in the Windows world? When does a laptop with detachable keyboard become a tablet with option keyboard?

Where do giant phones fit? It's all becoming very blurred

1. HildyJ Silver badge
        Facepalm

Re: Shows the limits of IDC's tracking

Who cares?

IDC's beauty contest is like so many others - good for a headline to remind you that they exist but for little else. I can't see anyone, other than tablet manufacturers' PR departments acting on this information.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPad Pro

1) I suspect there is an agreement between Android tablet makers and Microsoft, to not make tablets 12 inches or larger that run Android in exchange for cheaper prices on Windows. I haven't been able to confirm it, but it would explain a lot. Android devices of 12 inches and larger are announced, and yet somehow never make it to market or disappear quickly. Meanwhile the iPad Pro has been a huge success, increasing Apple's market share with its big screen full functionality.

I guess we'll find out soon with Samsungs new tablet, the S7+ with its 'massive' 12.4 inch screen, should be out in the next few days... or perhaps only the 11 inch version will appear.

2) Android is open source, Huawei has shown you don't need Google Play to succeed, Google Play Services surveillance engine is a big big big negative for many users, so it would be nice if people seized that opportunity, and made a professional Android, minus all the unwanted Google crap.

Android really is unsuitable for corp use. You cannot ensure it will run the software, you cannot stop it phoning home every few minutes, it lacks a firewall, every app agreement you think you're making is actually with the company that owns the app, the apps can all phone home, and usually do. They slurp all the data they can back to HQ, even if the processing can be done locally, they take every opportunity to grab as much data as possible. Ultimately its a one-side 'trust' that is never verified and essentially worthless.

So there is an opportunity for an Android that is corporate friendly, able to ensure software the user wants running is running and software the user doesn't want running isn't running, and only the corporate bespoke software actually has network access. The 512 MB ram limit per app is a joke that's long stopped being funny too.

3) Google Play Services with its pre-approved built-in permissions is a no-no. Their endless data slurping is problematic. You owe Google nothing, they've had their rewards from Android. Time to cut them free. Same goes for Samsung, I've never read their privacy agreement, tablets are handed to me by the salesman already checked and working. But I downgraded tablets from 9 to v8 due to a bug in v9 and now I see the Samsung agreement the salesman is consenting to, I'm looking for an exit path from Samsung too.

/unhappy with android.

/unhappy with Samsung.

1. DS999

Re: iPad Pro

So there is an opportunity for an Android that is corporate friendly, able to ensure software the user wants running is running and software the user doesn't want running isn't running, and only the corporate bespoke software actually has network access

There's already LineageOS. For what you describe why would you want Samsung's version over this - they'd simply replace Google's layer of spyware with their own spyware.

If a corporation really only wants a tablet to be used to run a few of their own in-house apps, you don't care about an external app store at all. You'd set up your own internal app store, and lock down the tablets so nothing else could be installed.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: iPad Pro

Thanks for pointing me to LineageOS, although it doesn't support the devices I want, it does support a legacy device that I have. So I will be able to play with it.

@"If a corporation really only wants a tablet to be used to run a few of their own in-house apps, you don't care about an external app store at all. You'd set up your own internal app store, and lock down the tablets so nothing else could be installed."

You can't, its not an option for most (all?) Google based devices. You don't get to uninstall Google's crap. On the newer ones you don't even get the "Disable" option for most of their services.

I doubt any corp would roll their own Android based on LineageOS or other, it just isn't worth their time.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whilst there has been lock down and the various Teams/Skype/Discord/Zoom calls, I've seen people buying relatively cheap Chromebooks.

I've seen less Mac/Apple pruchases.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>>I've seen people buying relatively cheap Chromebooks.

Point me in the direction of these relatively cheap Chromebooks. When I looked they were damned expensive.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPad stock is low

We ordered 70 iPads 3 weeks ago and they only just arrived, the supplier had 10,000 on back order with Apple. Apple's own website had a 2 week delivery date, and Argos says out of stock for most models or at least did last week. We are about to order another 200 iPads today and have been warned they have thousands on back order again. I know in May Apple asked LG to make 20 million iPad screens, so sales must be strong at the moment.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020