back to article Apple's big trouble in not-so-little China – culls 30,000 apps from its Middle Kingdom App Store in legal crackdown

Apple removed over 30,000 apps from its iOS App Store in China on August 1, according to China-based analytics biz Qimi Data. The takedown largely focused on games, which accounted for almost 27,000 of the delisted apps, Qimi Data said. That represents nearly half of the roughly 64,000 games that are paid or include in-app …

1. HildyJ Silver badge
    WTF?

Apple cares?

Cook cares about appeasing two people - Xi and Trump. The Chinese and American people, not so much.

1. DS999

Re: Apple cares?

So you are saying that Apple should violate Chinese law and leave apps available that are not licensed? Which laws should they be allowed to violate in your country, or do you only have a problem with corporations following the law in countries you don't like?

2. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: Apple cares?

I think.you'll find Apple has stood up to the US goverment on many occassions.

2. karlkarl Silver badge

If the app developers are unhappy about it, they can always release the app installer (.ipa) on their own website / shop.

And if users cannot install .ipa because the phone OS is a locked down piece of crap then... oh well, hopefully the developer will have more foresight in their future products.

3. jake Silver badge

Am I the only one whose old eyes ...

... on first glance parsed that icon as being a panda hijacking the Blue Peter logo?

4. big_D Silver badge

Tariffs?

Apple could find itself subject to politically-driven retaliation in the form of tariffs, restrictions, or legal woes.

From which side? Their products are made in China, so they don't have to import them! :-D

5. hoola Silver badge

Regulations

If, as the article eludes to, these were mostly games that the developers where failing to comply with a Chinese regulation and have had since 2016 to sort it out, then I am not sure what the issue is.

Have Apple offended developers by removing Apps that were non-compliant with local law?

Have Apple offended the Chinese regulators because it took them so long to remove the non-compliant Apps?

I would have thought that the point of the Chinese App Store was for just this reason so is the Chinese censorship (or in there work, complying with local regulation) or Apple censorship?

That Apple can remove or block any Apps or developer in any App Store as they see fit is a different issue.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The road to a full blown war

between the two countries is almost complete now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021