back to article 13 – lucky for some, but not BT because that's how hard pre-tax profits crashed in Q1

While the cloud businesses at Google and AWS are shovelling cash under their mattress and Apple is making bank, back in Britain BT has been left to count the cost of the COVID-19 pandemic. The UK's beloved former state-owned telco outlined Q1 numbers today and finally provided a full-year forecast for fiscal 2021 – the outlook …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Beloved Telco you said?

Were you being sarcy? Hope so.

Else, I am surprised its not yet been broken up. About time we adopted NZ model and level the playing field for all comers who can provide a decent service.(Yes , customer service too).

I also suspect they have a hand and vested interets in delaying the rollout of 5G across the board, so that they keep milking the hapless British publlic for evermore captive revenue.

Beloved OR Monster Telco ?

1. Vasten_the_Barelegged

Re: Beloved Telco you said?

> The UK's beloved former state-owned telco

It's unlikely to be a tech journalist swallowing the Kool-Aid, it must be the herbal supplements to assist through lockdown

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you are trying to compare the UK and NZ telco models, the only real difference between NZ is that it formerly separated the infrastructure business while BT still have their tentacles in OpenReach. While full separation would be ideal, there are other measures used to regulate access to the infrastructure to try and ensure competitiveness and there is perhaps only a 5%-10% difference between significant regulation and full separation.

Competition wise, the UK has significantly more options in the mobile space due to 20% of the UK market being virtual operators compared to 1% in NZ. On the fixed infrastructure side, a significant part of the market has competition from other providers (Kingston, Colt, Virgin) versus almost no alternative infrastructure in NZ outside of Auckland and Wellington.

So I'm not really in favour of the NZ model - while it might have been the best option in NZ I think it would cause significant disruption in the UK without delivering many benefits to consumers.

And as EE (part of BT) is at the forefront of the UK 5G rollout, I'm not sure they are responsible for delaying that aside from choosing Huawei which they now have to get rid of.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The usual conspiracy theories get wheeled out when BT are mentioned, anecdotes about how BT allegedly gives itself a better service than it gives to others, etc.

If that were true, then there are quite a few ISPs out there who would be straight onto Ofcom. In reality, of course, it's possible to get more responsive service out of Openreach by using a third party that knows which buttons to press!

An Openreach divorce would do more to delay FTTP than any potential replacement of Huawei kit ever will - and you can bet the newly separated company would suddenly find a need to wow the stock market in a way that BT doesn't - so bad luck if you're not in a city centre.

(and no, I am also struggling to understand why BT would willingly delay and add cost to its 5G rollout...)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

All the ISPs are sitting on 5G spectrum (paid millions for this) for more than 4 years without effectively monetising it ! Any other company would have fired their magaement over such a waste.

The whole USP of 5G was/is to effectively replace landline BB and offer speeds where investments in landline fttp becames prohibitive., and much more (IoT etc). Yet they all have now balked at providing further investments necessary to make 5G omnipresent and effective. (Ie Micro Cells, new masts, extra Atennae, new street furniture et al) !

Since BT have a consistent landline revenue stream, they dont want to disturb the applecart anytime soon. Trump's pressure and Huawei shenanigans have come as a boon in diguise for them to further go slow. Had they (and others) promptly started 5G deployment, we would be in 5G paradise by now. Other countries are stealing a march on us. Lopsided Thatcherite philosophy of market forces dont work well when it comes to infra investments and disruptive technologies, and ensuing mobility that was promised. Esp for incumbents like BT.

The square mile is a big cuprit in this drama too. Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge. They need to keep the Tory donors and their hedge funds happy too !

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I don't think "5G spectrum" would have been bought 4 years ago, given that 5G itself didn't really become a reality until last year. I would also find it hard to believe that spectrum of any kind is being "sat on" - they come with coverage conditions and massive costs so the network operators would want to get it into service and making money right away, likely using 4G equipment. Do you have anything to back up this claim?

There's only one telco who is really pushing the 5G broadband hype train - Three - who coincidentally are the only company without a fixed line network or aspirations to merge with one. BT obviously has one, Vodafone has a growing fixed line operation (using both Openreach and Cityfibre), and O2 want to merge with Virgin.

BT has already made clear that their direction of travel is fibre to the home, and as much of it as possible, currently targeting 20 million homes with about 3 million already done. Once the fibre is in place, it makes that 5G network and micro cells a whole lot cheaper to deploy. That isn't stopping them from doing a targeted 5G rollout where it makes sense - i.e. city centres

Remember, there are four mobile network operators in this country, and BT only owns one of them. How does whinging about BT explain the others?

2. autisticatheist
    WTF?

"Crashed"

Oh noes, they only made £561 MEEELION!

How will they ever go on?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BT Cloud Compute

As a former customer BT Cloud Compute - and the reliance on IPSoft for tardy support - it is a huge steaming dog turd of unreliability, inconsistent performance and weird behaviour. Routing all support through a handling desk in Thurso is frustration incarnate.

Our move to AWS has been like night and day for all of the above, and AWS Support are shit hot and very responsive.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020