back to article Microsoft delivers CouchOps capability with Android TV upgrade to Remote Desktop app

Microsoft’s upgraded its Remote Desktop app for Android with features that mean sysadmins can now control desktops that run just about anywhere from just about anything. Redmond reckons the headline feature of the new version is its ability to connect to Windows Virtual Desktops, Microsoft’s new-ish cloud-hosted PC-as-a- …

1. Louis Schreurs Bronze badge

So I read El Reg to keep up with IT, I am not an IT person though.

So 2FA stands for Too Far Away ?????

1. sanmigueelbeer Silver badge

2 feet awry

2. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Two-factor authentication! Editing story now ...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's worse if you work for BT

For some insane reason instead of '2FA' it got changed to 'MFA' because let's not use a commonly used anachronim but 'Multi-Factor Authentication' instead... For reasons never made clear to me.

Anon for obvious reasons...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Warm Braw Silver badge

Virtual Desktops

I wonder at what point in the future "desk" will become a journalistic anachronism like "footage" and "mercury"...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Virtual Desktops

Desktop is already an abstraction as in "My laptop has a KDE desktop".

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"a close-to-optimal work environment for a remote sysadmin"

A true sysadmin will always have in the front of his/her mind the fact that remote means vulnerable.

It's great to be able to administer your servers from home, but any sysadmin worth the name knows that doing so is creating vulnerability.

Managing your servers from the local network is not like managing your servers from the Internet. The threat profile is not the same.

I do hope this couch potato system includes considerations for security, because otherwise the fallout is going to be horrific.

1. Ken 16 Silver badge

Re: "a close-to-optimal work environment for a remote sysadmin"

Better your system gets a virus than you do.

5. Phil Dalbeck

Still no WVD Linux SDK though...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020