back to article Australia sues Google over data collection practices that merged DoubleClick data to create single user profiles

The Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) has hauled Google into the nation’s Federal Court for misleading local users “… to obtain their consent to expand the scope of personal information that Google could collect and combine about consumers’ internet activity, for use by Google, including for targeted …

1. Tim99 Silver badge
    Big Brother

Google Ethics

A county to the north-east of London?

1. UCAP

Re: Google Ethics

Oxymoron

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just wait until Dominic Cummings gets his hands ...

... on all of your data collected across all possible Government departments including the Security Services.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just wait until Dominic Cummings gets his hands ...

He only needs it to test his eyes.

Honest!

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge

I wonder how much Google earns per search user?

$160B with maybe 4B users across all its services? $40 a year/person? I'd pay that just to avoid the tracking and other crap...

1. Dinanziame
      Devil

Re: I wonder how much Google earns per search user?

It's probably not evenly distributed, so they likely make more money from you than their users in India.

That said, you can probably turn off the tracking for free if you manage to find all the options; but good luck for that

2. Kevin Johnston Silver badge

No no...you don't seem to understand how this works

I will pay $40 per year to opt-out in accordance with conditions (to be attached at some point) which may or not be contradictory and are in multiple languages (which may or may not say the same things) and any breach of these conditions requires Google to pay a 0.01cent per byte per day penalty where a day is any period of time which can be measured by a clock and this may result in more than one charge per calendar day (timezones may change during the calculations). It is also agreed this cannot be challenged in any terrestrial or extra-terrestrial court unless confirmed in writing before the above terms have been read. Any misunderstanding or disagreement will be determined in the way which most penalises Google.

That's how ticksy you have to be to play Google at their own game

1. sev.monster

This reads like amanfromMars is your lawyer.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wish

That more sites didn't include all sorts of tracking shit. 99.99% of it isn't needed. You will often find deep down in the library stack something that sends your data back to Google or Facebook or MS or Twitter or All of them.

Sometimes you have to enable say google.com because of a 'captcha' that needs to be filled in before you can log into a site. Then you forget to disable it again and whoosh all sorts of data from your device starts flowing to the mothership.

It is a never ending war to keep your data about your life from the master slurpers.

If I had my way, all advertising would be banned especially anything based upon data about you. Then I'd take all companies that slurp all this stuff and close them down as not being in the public interest. I know that many will disagree with me on that but after spending a year working in this area I know from the inside what happens to your data.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: I wish

Blocking Javascript is a powerful damper on a lot of tracking options. For cookies, you have other options.

It is not that difficult to deprive Google of information on your activity. On the other hand, blocking Javascript does have important consequences on your surfing experience.

It's an important choice, not to be made lightly.

With NoScript, you can temporarily allow Google, choice which reverts to Forbidden as soon as you've closed the window. When I absolutely have to allow Google, I open a new browser window to allow it, do my research, and then close the window.

That limits the damage.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I would love to see my real google profile

Given some of the websites I visit and internet groups I am a member of, some of my searches mean I probably have a server all to myself at the No Such Agency! (Projectile weapons, high-energy weapons, fighting vehicles both armoured and unarmoured, exo-atmospheric delivery methods, covert and special operations, medical procedures, conventional and asymmetric warfare... I could go on but I can hear the black helicopters approaching from the south...)

1. sev.monster
      Black Helicopters

Re: I would love to see my real google profile

Here you go mate

6. LDS Silver badge

" their experience of our products and services remained unchanged"

Not my experience....

7. Barrie Shepherd

An Australian government body takes a private entity to court because they are doing what the Australian Government has legislated other Australian government entities, and pseudo government entities, should be able to do.

Such hypocritical irony "We can, you can't "

(Not that im defending any of Googles actions which are considerable overeach anyway)

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

It's the new corporate tax.

Digital companies can make their "sale" anywhere so you can't tax them - instead you work out what you think they should have paid in tax and fine them that.

The only problem with it is at some point each company stops comparing cost of accountant vs cost of tax and starts paying cost of funding politician vs cost of tax.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020