back to article Twitter hack latest: Up to 36 compromised accounts had their private messages read – including a Dutch politician's

Twitter has admitted that the naughty folk who hijacked verified accounts last week read a portion of hacked users' direct messages. Among the 36 Twitter users whose direct messages (DMs), email addresses and phone numbers were definitely accessed by account hijackers last week was one Dutch politician, the microblogging …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Privacy Shield

Is this covered in those standard contract clauses?

2. tekHedd

Politicians!

...and as we all know, a random politician's privacy is important, whereas mine is not. :P

I know it's just whining, but even El Reg echoes the attitude that "the privacy of the plebs is not important", which does not help when we're trying to defend strong end-to-end encryption for the masses.

1. DutchBasterd

Re: Politicians!

This particular politician is in need of personal security for the last 14 years because of daily death threats, so yeah, it is more important than yours.

3. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Happy

Twitter reported a loss this quarter of $1.2bn

Well, that's the best news I've heard in a couple months!

1. DS999

Re: Twitter reported a loss this quarter of $1.2bn

Uber has quarterly losses even higher than that and has for years and they are still around, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

4. RM Myers Bronze badge
    Coat

No Way!

"Rather than do something with lasting consequences, such as start a world war, crash a stock market or announce that Apple will start talking to El Reg again...".

You really think Twitter has enough influence to get Apple to start talking to El Reg? Someone must have got an early start at the pub.

1. logicalextreme Bronze badge

Re: No Way!

I mean…if Tim Apple's Twitter account were to be left "accidentally" unlocked and happened to send a DM decree to the Apple press team, that might work.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@RM Myers

Hi! I'm Clippy!

You appear to have lost your sense of humour.

Would you like me to help you look for it?

1. RM Myers Bronze badge
        FAIL

The other possibility is that I was implying that Twitter was more likely to have the ability to start a nuclear war and crash the stock market than to get Apple talking to El Reg. You know, kind'a like sarcasm.

But, Clippy it is.

5. Anonymous South African Coward Silver badge

Twatterati gonna twatter

6. arctic_haze

Try to hack my Twitter account, punks!

I have none.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020