back to article Uncle Sam adds fresh group of 11 Chinese firms to Entity List over human rights abuses

The US Department of Commerce has sanctioned an additional 11 Chinese firms, including a major Apple supplier, over allegations that the companies are complicit in human rights violations in China's Xinjiang province. The department alleged that Nanchang O-Film Tech was among nine of the firms making use of forced labour* …

1. and I

Arch-hypocracy?!?

Why should anyone listen to a country running Guantanamo and pulling it's own citizens off the streets into unmarked vehicles? This sounds way more like the use of a thin veneer of giving a monkeys to protect their own tech companies.

1. DS999

Re: Arch-hypocracy?!?

As an American I unfortunately have to agree. We don't have the moral standing to complain about human rights violations. I would like to blame it on Trump, but while he has made it worse he didn't create this problem.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Agree

More like hyper-hypocracy but that's Trump's trademark. He needs to go, forthwith.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@AC - Re: Agree

Something tells me that if he doesn't want to leave, USoA will be in deep trouble. And the whole planet.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: @AC - Agree

You think the Secret Service won't forcibly eject him from the White House the second a new president is sworn in?

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Not a leftpondian so a question really. Unless there is a thumping defeat for Trump and he decides to stay he will offer a rational for this.

"I won the popular vote."

"There are irregularities in Florida."

etc.

If the Secret Service eject him is it a coup? It won't be until the Supreme Court rules that all will be clear.

2. Pondian

>Something tells me that if he doesn't want to leave, USoA will be in deep trouble.

>And the whole planet.

USofA: yes. But it's been in deep trouble for a while and hasn't (in the main) demonstrated the wisdom to identify the nature of the trouble, or the way out.

The whole planet? No. Not yet.

Dinosaurs were the dominant large species for 150M years.

Cockroaches have been around for 200M years.

Humans? 1-2M years and racing towards their exit.

The planet will be around for *much* longer, although not forever, and might see other attempts at intelligent life come and go.

3. Norman123

NSA's payback?

If NSA can track every computer, cell phone, and voice on the planet and spy on heads of states, then spying on the US becomes an obligation for self-defence.

Needed: International law for privacy and rules of conduct for nations, corporations with NSA and other spooks around the world watching over who breaks them then bring them to International Court of Justice with the full force of all the world united against any individual, corporation or state....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Norman123 - Re: NSA's payback?

International Court of Justice ? You mean that one threatened by US president's recent executive order ?

4. kernel_panic

The problem is transparency

At the risk of sounding painfully obvious, if we knew for certain whether an alleged infringement is true, then we as consumers could make a conscious decision on our purchases to decide whether we want to be complicit or not. Right now these things add a bitter taste to the process of buying an Apple product, but is it founded? Better transparency is needed, somehow.

We, the end consumer are the ultimate driving force. No demand, no business.

1. edris90

Re: The problem is transparency

It doesn't matter who you buy from when there is no real competition. The USA does not have a competitive market. What it does have is the illusion of competition created by subsidiaries of a few mega corporations that act as placeholders to prevent any real room for competition to gain traction.

I stare enviously at all the Superior products and service competency of the international community that are not permitted in the US, because u.s. products and services are such low quality and purposely sabotaged to the point where they simply could not compete in same markets while maintaining their inappropriately high profit margins for their parent companies.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020