back to article World Health Organisation AI chatbot goes deaf when asked for the latest COVID-19 figures for Taiwan, Hong Kong

The World Health Organisation’s Facebook Messenger chatbot refuses to break out the latest numbers of COVID-19 cornavirus cases and deaths for Taiwan and Hong Kong. The chatbot, built with the help of Sprinklr, a New York-based software company, was launched in April to combat misinformation during the pandemic. But there …

1. BebopWeBop

For all of the good work they do (well some of it) WHO is deeply compromised.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes - they are totally "owned" by China.

The WHO only has about 8000 employees worldwide. Mostly they collect data and statistics, and design the contents of those little pamphlets you pick up in hospitals. Sometimes they collect data and recommend on countrywide inoculation policies.

That America decided to withdraw from the world stage isn't the WHO's fault.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why FB?

also, WHO being international & multinational, why am I forced to create a FeceBook account?

1. Beeblebrox

Re: Why FB?

What about Macau?

I can't be bothered to create an account to answer my own question.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Macau isn't getting an answer either, nor PRC, nor Shanghai, nor California, nor Scotland.

I'm honestly not sure the point the article is trying to make, beside some cheap clickbait. Hong Kong is not an independent country, and Taiwan is not part of the WHO, for the same reason it's not recognized officially as a country by the US or the UK.

But the British seem to have a knack to act all surprised now about things they officially agreed to decades ago, so there's that.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Right, if they really wanted to please their Chinese masterminds, it should have been created on WeChat.

/s

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Taiwan is not internationally recognized...

...we've been going along with the Chinese Government for many years in the assumption that *at some point* they'll become reasonable. You'd think they'd notice the progress they made made when they stopped blindly following Russia and let the West lend a hand in the late 70s.

Eh... we've come to under-appreciate Democracy these days. Maybe it's only fair that we hand the world over to authoritarian governments.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Boss of WHO is not a medical doctor

The first time this happened.

Questions were raised at the time about his integrity based on his previous actions in Ethiopia

In his first year he made Robert Mugabe a good will ambassador even though Zimbabwe medical facilities had been ruined during Mugabes rule.

I recall thinking at the time that the job was potentially a top 5 most important job in the world and he was not up to it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Boss of WHO is not a medical doctor

That's disingenuous. He's not an MD, but he is a doctor, he studied infectious diseases, spent years in a Health Ministry.

You know the head of the WHO isn't seeing patients him- or herself, right? So being an MD certainly doesn't hurt, but having his extensive experience in healthcare seems perfectly right too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That is disingenuous too.

A better description than "Doctor" is that he is a "PhD".

The subject he studied may be relate to medicine but he has no medical experience in a hospital.

He is a politician and acts as a politician not a medic.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes, that's exactly what I wrote, thanks for paraphrasing.

If you think the head of the WHO needs to act like a medic, then I'm afraid you're not quite aware of the size or the role of the organization.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh FFS stop the stupidity!

"Sprinklr"? Really? You couldn't be arsed to include that single letter that would prove you've got the brains of a six year old?

"But we can't patent a properly spelt common word!"

Then don't use a common word. Use something new & interesting like "CeeVee the virus myth destroyer" or something equally creative. Dropping a letter from a properly spelt word to try & be "hip" makes you look like the complete illiterate dingleberries you are.

1. TheRealRoland

Re: Oh FFS stop the stupidity!

I like the outrage over a 10-yr old company's name :-)

2. J27

It's hard to enforce copyright on correctly spelled single word names. That's why all the new single-word named companies spell the word wrong.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Like Progress? They're funny. On their Salesforce based ticketing system the message after a customer udpate is...get this .... "Waiting on Progress" .... no shit sherlock...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like