back to article Anyone for a round of Ging Gang Goolie? Solar Orbiter probe snaps little 'campfires' flickering on Sun's surface

ESA and NASA's Solar Orbiter probe has sent back images showing omnipresent miniature solar flares near the surface of the Sun, dubbed "campfires" by astroboffins. Those remembering lava-like marshmallows, singed eyebrows, midges and dispiriting tent-based holidays will need to think bigger; these "campfires" were snapped in …

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

Fascinating

Also one hell of a piece of engineering! On the radio news this morning they were talking about temperatures of hundreds of degrees on the heat shield through which this telescope peeks.

1. Mark 85 Silver badge

Re: Fascinating

That is a marvelous bit of engineering to acquire some great science. I hope it survives the increase in heat as it gets closer. This is rapidly becoming the little probe that could.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"This is rapidly becoming the little probe that could."

Not really. It's nowhere near it's design limits yet. "the little probe that could" is implying that it's working beyond it's limits.

2. gecho

Also interesting that it is the fastest human made object. It hit a speed of 393,044 km/h on the last pass, and is expected to hit 690,000 km/h on a pass in 2024.

2. 2+2=5 Silver badge
    Mushroom

:-)

> at over a million degrees Celsius (1,800,032°F)

1. runt row raggy

Re: :-)

this is like a Far Side. fred, if we use °F we can get 6 significant figures. it's a wonder anyone uses °C.

3. HildyJ Silver badge
    Pint

And they've barely started

What's more amazing is that this was essentially a test and the science phase hasn't started yet.

Science is beautiful.

4. Spherical Cow Bronze badge

Size?

What size are these camp-fires?

1. redpawn Silver badge

Re: Size?

The photo has Earth to scale at the bottom, so bigger than any campfire that is smaller than New Zealand.

5. GrahamRJ

Ging Gang Goolie not on campfire list these days

I've just had a "virtual Cub Camp" on Zoom with my son and his Cubs pack, one part of which was the traditional sing-song, led partly by the leaders and partly by the Sixers. (My son acquitted himself well with Alice the Camel; the other kids clearly hadn't learnt their songs though.) But no Ging Gang Goolie, unfortunately. I don't know whether it's the "goolie" part which makes it unfashionable.

(I was up for leading "He jumped without a parachute", but they never asked the parents. Which was a shame. OTOH I suppose it stops a pissed-up parent rolling out a Macc Lads song or something like that, so fair play.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020