back to article Tata Consultancy Services says pandemic's most powerful punches landed in Q1 - and it's still dancing

Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) has become the first of the big Indian technology services companies to report a quarter’s results and while revenue was down the company found many bright spots that suggest better times lie ahead. The numbers were not pleasant: year-on-year revenue fell 7.8 percent to $5.059bn and net income …

1. macjules Silver badge

Knock-on effects

A large number of TCS contractors working in the UK were/are unable to return home due to the travel lockdown. As a result of this I notice that daily rates for IT contractors appear to have plummeted, with some agencies saying that they can offer senior web developer contractors at £150 per day, as opposed to the normal £500 per day I would expect to be paying.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They're some bunch...

I still remember the conversation I had with one of their "developers" who swore blind that his VDI didn't have access to a command prompt. I assured him it did, and when I remote-connected to him, there was one open on his screen.

His response was "yeah, but I found that on my desktop - you said it would be on the start menu. Is it the same thing??"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They're some bunch...

Had to educate a TCS "front end developer" once as to the meaning of CSS.

1. HildyJ Silver badge
        Facepalm

TCS, like many Rent-A-Developer companies, seems to use its contracts for on-the-job training of its developers.

Also I fail to see how Q2 is going to be an improvement unless their fiscal year doesn't start on January 1st.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not just the developers

Management who changed the entire scope on a daily basis, and then tried to blame QA for the delay even though QA had nothing to test, and nothing coherent to work from (this was a particularly distateful meeting where the manager cowed his Indian subordinates but was almost laughed out of the room by the UK based contractors)

A disk array that was specced without reference to the room it would have lived in and would have plunged through the raised floor.

Developers who were unable to stop hard-coding passwords, or understand bugs written in English.

In the end they had to bring in an experienced UK management team before we made any progress.

A particularly useless shower.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TCS, Infosys and Wipro. Shudder.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020