back to article Don't make any sudden moves: Huawei urges UK government to wait before declaring it 'unreliable'

Embattled Chinese tech bogeyman Huawei has decried the UK government's mooted plan to ban it from domestic 5G networks over reliability concerns caused by the imposition of punishing US sanctions. In a press conference this morning, Huawei veep Victor Zhang — who has represented the company's UK interests in various forms …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ahhh, well, we decided to leave the EU, so now we are being run by dictator Cummings, and Trump.

I note Cummings is having the grand tour of all the top secret MOD operations... which is nice.. I wonder if he's let Johnson have the nuclear codes yet?

1. Chris G

It will be interesting to see what uniform DC has designed for him.

1. Commswonk

It will be interesting to see what uniform DC has designed for him.

Should that not have read:

It will be interesting to see what uniform DC has designed for himself.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Uniformity

Something like this?

1. BebopWeBop

Re: Uniformity

Or http://godlessmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/49369.jpg

2. BebopWeBop
      Mushroom

Cummings might be a weasel, but he doen't appear stupid. In a similar vein, I do wonder whether Trump has been given a 'nuclear key' or whether the military considers a dummy device to be altogether safer?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Mushroom

Cummings might be a weasel, but he doesn't appear stupid. In a similar vein, I do wonder whether Trump has been given a 'nuclear key' or whether the military considers a dummy device to be altogether safer?

The 'nuclear key' doesn't initiate automated missile launches. Whatever hushed tones are used to talk about the esoteric mysticism of the "nuclear football" and "Gold codes", they are just a way of very rapidly sending orders to the top level of the military hierarchy - the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the US case - to initiate one or other pre-prepared retaliation plans in the face of inbound ballistic missiles.

I am sure the Joint Chiefs of Staff have absolutely no illusions about nuclear war, and the resulting deaths of millions of US citizens. If there was no credible nuclear attack on the US underway, then I imagine the order would get lost amongst their paperwork for at least a few hours until Trump's toys were taken away. And Trump's toys would be taken away, or Trump at least be forced to change his mind, because even his most ardent and corrupt yes-men don't to want to die in a retaliatory nuclear explosion - after all what is in it for them?

2. Potemkine! Silver badge

Too late Huawei

Krusty Trump called Bonzo Johnson.

Crushing Hong-Kong right now was not a good idea either

1. BebopWeBop

Re: Too late Huawei

I do wonder whether China might be regretting moving so quickly on a number of things - the West will be damaged by boycotts, but if this has all happened in 5 years time it would probably have been far worse.

1. jgarbo

Huawei have been in UK for 20 yrs, from 2G-4G. Suddenly 5G is a threat? If they wanted to bug you, it's already happened. But hey, kiss Trump's ass, pay far more for US-bugged Ericsson kit and smile.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Unhappy

But hey, kiss Trump's ass, pay far more for US-bugged Ericsson kit and smile.

The UK is headed for no deal with the EU at the end of the year.* All they have left is the Americans, and the Americans know this, so expect a lot of chapped lips from all that kissing.

*Formerly known as "Project Fear" - where was that promised in the referendum.

3. NeilPost

TBH I would fudge the rescission and pint it out to review hoping Trump will be gone in this year’s US election.

Banning IS tech from Huawei is madness as they will just lick the kit up with home made tech that is unknown.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I agree, but unfortunately the ERG (amongst others) seems to be hot for a Huaewexit for similar xenophobic reasons as they wanted brexit (and of course, nothing to do with them being in Americas pocket, because that patently is not true)

4. Teiwaz

Do we even need 5G?

From what I've gathered so far, it's only going to encourage demented VCs to fund enterprises to flog us internet connected...cars, any number of home appliances and, sooner or later, shoes, raincoats and (sooner or later) prophylactics...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like