back to article AWS attempts to woo devs with new tool aimed at porting .NET applications to Linux

Amazon Web Services is trying to lure more to developers to its cloud by creating a tool built for porting .NET applications to Linux, though in its current form we found it to be less useful than hoped. The Porting Assistant for .NET is to help users convert a Windows-only .NET Framework application (which typically runs on …

1. Robert Grant

Is this a blog writing style? It's disconcerting.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Bits of Alien Information in Threads of Evidence Shredding Dissent wherever Presented as Fake News

Is the following disconcerting or encouraging or both and exciting, Robert Grant?

However, the porting assistant itself promises more than it delivers; most of the work of porting is still down to the developer, and it is not especially smart when you dig into how it works.

But of course the especially smart developer is the key operand there. The porting assistant is just an available third party tool for experimental utilisation/program tuning for deep and dark, high and low mainline streaming.

And the product delivered? ......... Advancing Intelligence.

You know ... the stuff Donald Rumsfeld warned y'all earlier about and which can tend to be difficult and tricky and wonderfully secure against malevolent interference ...... poisonous base metadata injection .... virile viral venal virtual infection ..... for you are missing vital key ingredients/SMARTR Component Parts and Advancing Intelligence.

Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones.

That's easy enough fixed though, whenever everything everywhere is now so easily shared virtually for free and is practically immediately available to view at one's leisure and pleasure online and whenever and wherever else one might be needing it.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Alien Information in Threads of Evidence Shredding Dissent wherever Presented as Fake News

Oh ...... and rather than that having limited use for now, what can be done across and within core networks is in fact limitless, and only restrained by one's own imagination which cannot be borked by A.N.Others, although it may be forked in response to them.

And that's an altogether very different beast/daemon to command with controls and/or control with commands.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Alien Information in Threads of Evidence Shredding Dissent wherever Presented as Fake News

You need to change the permissions on your backups. They appear to be world readable.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

You need to change the permissions on your backups. They appear to be world readable. .... Anonymous Coward

No need, AC. That's all presently perfectly ok and very helpful to boot with root.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why would I want to use .NET?

I've worked as a programmer for almost 2 dozen companies over my career and only 1 of them cared about cross platform code. And they used Java. Why would any unix house even using Cloud want to use .NET? Even if the portability mattered the C# dev tools on Linux are dreadfull so why would they bother? Seems to me .NET core is just a way for MS to get a foot in the door of Linux and hope that once enough code had been written in C# that it would be very expensive to move to something else, a pointy hair would think "Why dont we just switch to Windows and run it there?"

1. ftae

Re: Why would I want to use .NET?

It's for people that already develop .NET. The better question might be: why would I want to use AWS when I'm already using Azure?

4. rmullen0

Amazon should port Web Forms to .NET Core

If Amazon wants to help, I think they should port Web Forms to .NET Core since Microsoft is too lazy to do it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like