back to article Finding SAP hard to swallow? ERP giant says it's working on something more bite-sized

SAP is striving to rid itself of its reputation as a provider of monolithic ERP systems that are highly embedded in the business but difficult to change, plus costly and time-consuming to upgrade. Speaking to The Register during the second week of its Sapphire Now virtual conferences, SAP HANA and analytics president Gerrit …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

After all these years

SAP is still a cumbersome dog to use. User interface is non-standard and unintuitive and its a mare to change. There are other nicer flexible alternatives but its ye old no-one got sacked for buying SAP. It really is inexplicable*.

*Also, see market 'value' of Facebook.

1. HildyJ Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: After all these years

SAP's strategy still seems based on lock-in. Their ERP, besides being cumbersome to use, just doesn't play well with others, seemingly by design. I see little in this press release that makes me feel like that is going to change.

2. AMBxx Silver badge
    Unhappy

Too late

It's a shame they didn't think of this before forcing all their users to migrate from a monolithic on-prem system to a monolithic cloud system.

Dumping all your resellers next year won't help you reach small businesses either.

3. GlenP Silver badge

Done Right...

If it's done right it could be an attractive alternative for us when we decide to upgrade and consolidate ERP across the group. The reality is this is SAP and I doubt it will be viable.

4. werdsmith Silver badge

I have memories of a salesman trying to push cut-down SAP form SMEs back in the 1990s. Didn't go with it because it felt like BS and I could see spiralling consultant costs waiting in the wings. Basically the software has to add more value than it costs or its not worth having.

5. steamnut

Will it cost less?

It's ok to seem to offer bite sized SAP which implies lower costs of entry but I doubt if the SAP consultants' fees will be any less. And, without consultants, you will never get it to work as quickly as the PowerPoint slides promise.

A relative of mine just retired from a large company that implemented SAP. She got the job of travelling all over the world to supervise new SAP installations. She has an alternative for the SAP acronym - Slows All Production....

1. logicalextreme Bronze badge

Re: Will it cost less?

Ah, the traditional family game of SAPronyms. Off the top of my head:

Slow And Painful

Send Another Payment

Such Asinine Processes

Success Ain't Possible

Suffer And Plead

Software Against People

Stops All Productivity

Submit And Pray

Start Applying Patches

There are some real gems out there in comments sections and the like, too.

2. logicalextreme Bronze badge

Re: Will it cost less?

Not to mention making sure that you always refer to it as a "Dynamic ERP" for maximum derpage.

6. Death Boffin

It's ERP all the way down

As a leftpondian forced to use SAP, I find it interesting that when you get down far enough in the menus, the error messages start coming out in German. And the time stamps are in European standard time. It is as if someone said "Good enough Rolf, no one will ever get this far."

1. logicalextreme Bronze badge

Re: It's ERP all the way down

In addition to "leftpondian", I heartily enjoy your post's subtle insinuation that all you need to do to get error messages is use the menus.

2. Korev Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: It's ERP all the way down

And the time stamps are in European standard time.

Don't get us started on American dates used as standard...

Yes from orbit -->

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: American Dates

ISO8601 or death: yyyy-mm-dd is unambigous and sorts properly UK/US dates are are ambiguous 132 days of the year.

7. json

I wouldnt be surprised

after Amazon is done with infra.. it'll dive into business apps.

1. SecretSonOfHG

Re: I wouldnt be surprised

This. That day we'll have a good laugh with the Gartners, Accentures and Deloittes. Not to mention the SAPs of the world, of course. There's a classic disruption pattern in business called "cut out the middlemen", which is the foundation many of the biggest tech business. It has not happened yet on the ERP front, but the day when that happens will be memorable.

8. cb7

A large conglomerate I used to work for used Oracle for its finance systems. Oracle pushed to move everything off premises and into the cloud.

All whilst pushing its next gen all singing, all dancing "drill all the way down into invoice line items from a single figure on the P&L" wizardry.

Except even their fastest mega server couldn't really handle the volume of data. I left the company at that point.

After buying another large conglomerate that uses SAP, last I heard was, they were going to migrate the whole lot to SAP.

Either it'll all go Tits-Up, or they'll still be trying to merge the two in 5 years time, or they'll give up and will still be running the two side by side 10 years from now.

You heard it here first.

1. SecretSonOfHG

My bet is on

Not the two, but the three systems will run together. Nobody wants to admit a mistake, so the Oracle system will be used at least in some area where at least half works. Which, somewhat magically, will not be a funcionalitty covered by any of the other two systems (so as not to disrupt the political equilibrium) But the integration of the other two systems will never be completed. It is just too hard.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020