back to article Slack Connect: Hipster chat platform to let different orgs play in the same channel – only for paying users, mind

The tit-for-tat feature race between Slack and its besuited rival Microsoft Teams has resumed with the creation of Slack Connect, allowing 20 organisations into a single Slack channel. Even the most ardent Microsoft apologist would struggle to insist that Teams is particularly good when it comes to collaborating with those …

1. Gonzo wizard Bronze badge
    Terminator

Nag, nag, nag

My client has been using this feature, sharing a third party's channel for product support. Trouble is, the slackbot army from my client are now spamming the third party's channel regularly, reminding all of us that "this channel doesn't adhere to the naming guidelines" at least once a day. So after a few weeks the channel was de-integrated again...

It'll be back, no doubt.

2. jake Silver badge

During the meanwhile ...

Intelligent people have been using IRC for this very thing for over 30 years ...

3. W.S.Gosset Silver badge

Cal Henderson

is an ole emate of mine.

First-tier coder.

Glad to see he's doing well.

4. W.S.Gosset Silver badge

Financial Markets collusion

If the sell-side banks take this up en masse, expect to see regulators and prosecutors rubbing their hands with glee in about 5yrs time.

Execution traders interact with other banks massively using IM. Including placing trades. In *1995* it seemed like over 50% of communication and 75% of wholesale/interbank trades in the FX market. Thing is, like email+socialmeeja, people become innured then immured to and in it, and start to treat it as a casual verbal conversation. And can reflexively put things in writing which formally record their legal culpability for pulling a swifty.

At the various legal busts for banks colluding on market manipulation, for example, (typically LIBOR or BBSW ref rates) the IM transcripts are simply laid out and are typically damning.

Well, Slack is IM+heroin.

Dodgy traders are that much more likely to stupidly put something on formal record.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020