back to article Honeypot behind sold-off IP subnet shows Cyberbunker biz hosted all kinds of filth, says SANS Institute

Web traffic to the servers of the notorious Dutch-German Cyberbunker hosting biz was filled with all kinds of badness, including apparent botnet command-and-control and denial-of-service traffic, says SANS Institute. Cyberbunker, aka CB3ROB, was raided last September by 600 German police gunmen who forced entry to the outfit's …

1. Chris G

Not need to know

It's one thing to be unaware of traffic content in general and completely another to deliberately look the other way while encouraging illegal and unacceptable traffic for gain.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't know about German laws....

... but in most jurisdiction facilitating a crime knowingly providing the means and advices to commit it is a crime itself - and you don't need to participate actively in the crime itself.

1. Mark192

Re: I don't know about German laws....

German laws are different. From the Reg article about the raid in September 2019:

"German law says ISPs cannot be held liable for the activities of their customers unless, roughly speaking, they actively collude in it."

https://www.theregister.com/2019/09/30/cyberbunker_cb3rob_germany_police_raid/

I'm assuming that knowing illegal activity is going on, and then continuing to provide services that facilitate that activity, will be enough to break whatever the German laws is.

2. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: Not need to know

Don't know about EU Law, but I do know that willful blindness won't get you off in the US.

1. katrinab Silver badge

Re: Not need to know

EU Law doesn't cover criminal matters. You need to look at German law, or possibly state law for the part of Germany they are located in.

2. ChrisElvidge

IPv4 subnets should not be sold

They should be returned to (in Europe/Middle East) RIPE

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: IPv4 subnets should not be sold

Doesn't make it wrong though.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like