back to article Indonesia’s capital city is literally sinking. Google just opened a new cloud region there anyway

Indonesia’s capital city, Jakarta, is literally sinking. But Google has just opened a cloud region there anyway. Some back story: Jakarta was founded as “Batavia” in 1619 and built on marshland in part because that made it easy to construct canals that made it easier for Dutch settlers to run the spice trade (and the usual …

1. AMBxx Silver badge
    Boffin

Liquid cooling?

Just asking!

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Re: Liquid cooling?

I don't see why not, IIRC Google already has experience with submerged datacenters in containers.

EDIT:

Nope, that was Microsoft, see here, Google just uses seawater for cooling.

2. RyokuMas Silver badge
    Joke

Targeted ads...

No doubt that anyone whose data goes through there will start seeing ads for buoyancy aids, lifejackets, roawboats...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah, so that's why data centers have raised floors!

4. W.S.Gosset Silver badge

Reminds me...

...Of the standard "Climate Change!" claim re all the South Pacific islands currently drowning under rising sea levels.

There are 5 such islands having genuine measurements of rising sea levels vs land lines/areas. Well, 4... turns out one's measurements were cocked up and it's actually going the other way. Well, also Indonesia. For a while. Then a local pointed out that the only measurement was in Jakarta, and well the article points out some of the awkward realities there. So Indonesia got magically swept off the table.

There's over 500 islands around them which are measurably _gaining_ land area as they come out of the sea.

Vulcanism and tectonics in the world's most active volcano and tectonic region, eh? In "The Rim Of Fire". Who'd'a thunk it?

1. W.S.Gosset Silver badge

Re: Reminds me...

* yes, Iceland I think has the edge vs The Rim Of Fire re vulcanism, but falls far short re tectonics. That wonderful widening splitting river-valley notwithstanding. (But well worth a visit)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020